According to Whicheverhealth, Grubbs, Arkansas is a small unincorporated community located in Jackson County in the northeastern part of the state. It is situated about halfway between Newport and Tuckerman, just off of Highway 67. The town was first settled around 1872 and was originally known as Grubb’s Station. The town’s population peaked at around 700 people in the early 1900s, but has since dwindled to less than 200 people as of 2020.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Grubbs is a rural area with mostly agricultural land surrounding it. There are several small farms and ranches that call Grubbs home, along with several businesses such as a convenience store and a few restaurants.
The town is known for its friendly atmosphere and close-knit community. Residents have been known to help each other out when needed, often taking part in community events such as potluck dinners or even hosting yard sales to raise money for local causes. The locals are also very proud of their small-town roots, which are evident in the many historical buildings still standing throughout the area.
The nearest school is located in nearby Tuckerman, but there are also several churches located within Grubbs where residents can attend worship services or participate in other activities such as Vacation Bible School or youth group meetings.
In addition to its agricultural roots, Grubbs has also become known for its outdoor recreational activities such as fishing and hunting on nearby lakes and rivers or camping at one of the many campgrounds found throughout the area. There are also plenty of trails for hiking or biking through the Ozark Mountains that surround Grubbs.
Grubbs may be small but it has a lot to offer those who choose to call it home. From its friendly atmosphere to its abundance of outdoor activities, there’s something here for everyone who wants to experience true small-town living while still being close enough to larger cities like Little Rock or Memphis for all your shopping needs.
Population: 438. Estimated population in July 2020: 410 (-6.4% change)
Males: 222 (50.7%), Females: 216 (49.3%)
Zip code: 72431
Median resident age: 41.4 years
Median household income: $23,929
Median house value: $32,200
Races in Grubbs:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.8%)
- Two or more races (5.5%)
- American Indian (1.8%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (23.7%), Irish (11.0%), German (9.6%), English (6.8%), Dutch (1.1%), Italian (1.1%).
Elevation: 230 feet
Land area: 0.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Grubbs
- High school or higher: 72.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grubbs town
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 61.9%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 10.2%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -92 (-17.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Grubbs:
- HARRIS HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; NEWPORT, AR)
- NEWPORT HOSPITAL AND CLINIC INC (about 13 miles; NEWPORT, AR)
- LAWRENCE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; WALNUT RIDGE, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grubbs:
- MILLINGTON MUNI (about 87 miles; MILLINGTON, TN; Abbreviation: NQA)
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 88 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Abbreviation: MEM)
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 90 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: LRF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grubbs:
- NEWPORT MUNI (about 7 miles; NEWPORT, AR; Abbreviation: M19)
- SALLY WOFFORD (about 13 miles; WEINER, AR; Abbreviation: 8M2)
- WOODRUFF COUNTY (about 30 miles; AUGUSTA, AR; Abbreviation: M60)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grubbs:
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 31 miles; STATE UNIVERSITY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 8,696)
- HARDING UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; SEARCY, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,959)
- ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY-BEEBE BRANCH (about 70 miles; BEEBE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 3,840)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 83 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 15,831)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UNION CAMPUS (about 83 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,979)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 83 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,019)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MACON CAMPUS (about 90 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,979)