According to beautyphoon, Grosse Tete is a small town located in Iberville Parish, Louisiana. It is situated along Interstate 10 and is about 20 miles northwest of Baton Rouge. The town was founded in 1860 by French settlers and is known for its unique name, which translates to “Big Head” in English.
The town has a population of around 1,100 people and covers an area of about 2 square miles. Grosse Tete has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average annual temperature is around 72 degrees Fahrenheit and the average annual precipitation is around 55 inches per year.
According to bestitude, Grosse Tete has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1860 by French settlers. The first post office was established here in 1873, and the first school was built in 1874. During the Civil War, Grosse Tete served as an important supply point for Confederate forces due to its location on the Mississippi River.
Today, Grosse Tete is best known for its unique attractions such as the Tiger Truck Stop which features a live tiger exhibit that draws visitors from all over the world. Another popular attraction is Alligator Park which offers visitors an up close look at some of Louisiana’s most famous reptiles as well as educational programs about them.
In addition to these attractions, Grosse Tete also offers many outdoor activities such as fishing, boating, camping and hiking at nearby parks like Lake Fausse Pointe State Park or False River Regional Park. There are also several local restaurants serving up delicious southern cuisine such as gumbo or jambalaya that visitors can enjoy while exploring the area.
Overall, Grosse Tete is a small but vibrant community that offers plenty of fun activities for visitors to enjoy while exploring this unique part of Louisiana’s history and culture. From its unique attractions to its outdoor activities and delicious cuisine, there’s something for everyone here in Grosse Tete.
Population: 670. Estimated population in July 2020: 626 (-6.6% change)
Males: 302 (45.1%), Females: 368 (54.9%)
Zip code: 70740
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $27,734
Median house value: $82,200
Races in Grosse Tete:
- White Non-Hispanic (55.5%)
- Black (42.8%)
- Asian Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: French (15.7%), United States (13.7%), French Canadian (5.2%), German (3.9%), Irish (3.7%), English (3.0%).
Elevation: 21 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Grosse Tete
- High school or higher: 67.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 4.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grosse Tete village
- Never married: 31.9%
- Now married: 47.7%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 10.1%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -25 (-3.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Grosse Tete:
- RIVER WEST MEDICAL CENTER (about 17 miles; PLAQUEMINE, LA)
- BENTON REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA)
- POINTE COUPEE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; NEW ROADS, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grosse Tete:
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 23 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Abbreviation: BTR)
- ACADIANA REGIONAL (about 41 miles; NEW IBERIA, LA; Abbreviation: ARA)
- LAFAYETTE REGIONAL (about 41 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; Abbreviation: LFT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grosse Tete:
- FALSE RIVER RGNL (about 21 miles; NEW ROADS, LA; Abbreviation: HZR)
- PETE ANTIE MUNI (about 28 miles; MELVILLE, LA; Abbreviation: 7L9)
- BORDELON AIRPARK (about 31 miles; BREAUX BRIDGE, LA; Abbreviation: L28)
Amtrak station near Grosse Tete:
- 19 miles: BATON ROUGE (1253 FLORIDA ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grosse Tete:
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 18 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 28,696)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 19 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,399)
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT LAFAYETTE (about 46 miles; LAFAYETTE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 13,673)
- NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 60 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,244)
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,549)
- TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 97 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 10,230)
- LOYOLA UNIVERSITY NEW ORLEANS (about 97 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,399)