According to Fashionissupreme, Gridley, California is a small town located in Butte County in Northern California. It is situated between the cities of Chico and Oroville, and is about 70 miles north of Sacramento. The population of Gridley was 6,584 at the 2010 census according to the United States Census Bureau.
The town was originally founded in 1854 and was named after George W. Gridley, a local rancher who built a flour mill there. The first post office opened in 1857 and the city was incorporated in 1908.
Gridley has an abundance of natural beauty with its rolling hills, lush forests, and agricultural fields. The city has several parks where visitors can enjoy picnicking or fishing along with a variety of other activities such as camping, hiking, biking, swimming and boating. The Feather River also flows through the city providing plenty of opportunities for fishing or kayaking as well as scenic views for those who like to take walks or bike rides around town.
The economy of Gridley is largely based on agriculture with many farms located within city limits growing crops such as tomatoes, onions, garlic, almonds and walnuts among others. In addition to agriculture there are also several businesses which provide services such as auto repair shops and restaurants along with retail stores which offer everything from clothing to home goods and more.
According to Harvardshoes, Gridley is served by two school districts: Biggs Unified School District which serves kindergarten through 8th grade students; and Gridley Unified School District which serves 9th through 12th grade students. There are also several private schools available including St Mary’s Catholic School which offers preschool through 8th grade classes; Calvary Chapel Christian Academy which offers preschool through 12th grade classes; and Oak Hill Academy which offers preschool through 6th grade classes.
The city hosts several events throughout the year including its annual 4th of July celebration featuring fireworks over the lake; its Harvest Festival in October; its Christmas Parade held each December; as well as numerous car shows throughout the summer months featuring classic cars from all eras dating back from 1915-1970s models along with many antique tractor shows throughout the year too!
In addition to all these things Gridley is also home to many historic buildings such as the old City Hall building built in 1911; two railroad depots that were built during World War II; an old fire station dating back to 1908 (which still houses antique firefighting equipment); an original one-room schoolhouse built in 1870 (which now serves as a museum); plus numerous other historical sites scattered throughout town ranging from old bridges to abandoned mines!
Overall Gridley is a great place to live offering plenty of outdoor activities combined with a rich history that makes it unique amongst other towns in Northern California! Its friendly residents make it even more appealing making it truly feel like home for anyone who visits or moves here.
Population: 5,382. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,588 (+3.8% change)
Males: 2,568 (47.7%), Females: 2,814 (52.3%)
Zip code: 95948
Median resident age: 32.9 years
Median household income: $24,368
Median house value: $86,000
Races in Gridley:
- White Non-Hispanic (54.3%)
- Hispanic (38.6%)
- Other race (24.1%)
- Two or more races (4.0%)
- American Indian (2.5%)
- Asian Indian (1.8%)
- Other Asian (0.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (10.6%), German (9.3%), United States (5.7%), English (4.6%), Portuguese (2.8%), Italian (2.5%).
Elevation: 91 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gridley
- High school or higher: 59.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 20.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gridley city
- Never married: 25.7%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 10.6%
22.3% Foreign born (19.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +519 (+10.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gridley:
- BIGGS GRIDLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 2 miles; EAST GRIDLEY, CA)
- OROVILLE HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; OROVILLE, CA)
- RIDEOUT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; MARYSVILLE, CA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gridley:
- BEALE AFB (about 25 miles; MARYSVILLE, CA; Abbreviation: BAB)
- CHICO MUNI (about 31 miles; CHICO, CA; Abbreviation: CIC)
- SACRAMENTO INTERNATIONAL (about 48 miles; SACRAMENTO, CA; Abbreviation: SMF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gridley:
- OROVILLE MUNI (about 11 miles; OROVILLE, CA; Abbreviation: OVE)
- SUTTER COUNTY (about 19 miles; YUBA CITY, CA; Abbreviation: O52)
- LAKE OROVILLE LANDING AREA (about 21 miles; OROVILLE, CA; Abbreviation: O06)
Amtrak stations near Gridley:
- 14 miles: OROVILLE (GRANDE AVE. AT STATE HWY. 70) – Bus Station. Services: fully wheelchair accessible, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 18 miles: MARYSVILLE (6TH & A STS.) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gridley:
- BUTTE COLLEGE (about 16 miles; Oroville, CA; Full-time enrollment: 7,061)
- YUBA COLLEGE (about 18 miles; MARYSVILLE, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,593)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-CHICO (about 27 miles; CHICO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 14,658)
- SIERRA COLLEGE (about 51 miles; ROCKLIN, CA; Full-time enrollment: 9,313)
- AMERICAN RIVER COLLEGE (about 55 miles; SACRAMENTO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 13,984)
- UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-DAVIS (about 56 miles; DAVIS, CA; Full-time enrollment: 24,405)
- CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY-SACRAMENTO (about 58 miles; SACRAMENTO, CA; Full-time enrollment: 20,830)
Public high schools in Gridley:
- GRIDLEY HIGH (Students: 689; Location: 300 E. SPRUCE ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ESPERANZA HIGH (CONT) (Students: 43; Location: 300 E. SPRUCE ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- GRIDLEY UNIFIED COMMUNITY DAY (7-12) (Students: 8; Location: 429 MAGNOLIA ST.; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gridley:
- WILSON ELEMENTARY (Students: 536; Location: 409 MAGNOLIA ST.; Grades: KG – 05)
- SYCAMORE MIDDLE (Students: 505; Location: 1125 SYCAMORE ST.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MCKINLEY ELEMENTARY (Students: 289; Location: 1045 SYCAMORE ST.; Grades: KG – 02)
- MANZANITA ELEMENTARY (Students: 260; Location: 627 E. EVANS-REIMER ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)
- GRIDLEY UNIFIED COMMUNITY DAY (1-6) (Students: 2; Location: 429 MAGNOLIA ST.; Grades: 01 – 06)