According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Greenwood, Delaware is a small town in Sussex County located on the Delmarva Peninsula. It is situated at the intersection of Route 13 and Route 16. The population as of 2020 was 2,633 people.
The town was founded in 1727 by a Quaker settler named John Greenwood and was initially part of Maryland until 1776 when it became part of Delaware. The town has a rich history and was the site of several Revolutionary War battles. Greenwood is well known for its many historic structures including the Greenwood Friends Meetinghouse, built in 1790 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as several other old homes and buildings that date back to the 18th century.
Greenwood is a tight-knit community that prides itself on its small-town atmosphere and strong sense of community spirit. It is home to many local businesses such as grocery stores, hardware stores, restaurants, cafes, and antique shops. There are also plenty of recreational activities available in Greenwood including parks, golf courses, fishing spots, hiking trails, and outdoor sports fields.
According to Topbbacolleges, Greenwood has an award-winning school system with excellent academics taught by dedicated teachers who strive to ensure their students excel academically while fostering creativity and critical thinking skills. The district also offers extracurricular activities such as athletics teams for students to participate in after school hours.
The town hosts several annual events for residents to enjoy such as parades in July for Independence Day celebrations and during December for Christmas celebrations; Fourth of July Fireworks; an autumn festival; a farmers’ market; an antique car show; weekly summer concerts at Town Hall Park; an annual 5K run/walk event; monthly art walks; and more!
Greenwood is located close to popular beach towns such as Lewes Beach (less than 25 miles away) so there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy some fun in the sun during the summer months! With its friendly citizens, great schools, strong sense of community spirit and variety of recreational activities available – it’s no wonder why so many people love living in Greenwood.
Population: 837. Estimated population in July 2020: 883 (+5.5% change)
Males: 407 (48.6%), Females: 430 (51.4%)
Zip code: 19950
Median resident age: 30.3 years
Median household income: $35,588
Median house value: $73,200
Races in Greenwood:
- White Non-Hispanic (73.5%)
- Black (22.6%)
- Hispanic (2.9%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
Ancestries: United States (12.2%), English (10.5%), German (8.6%), Irish (6.6%), French (2.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.0%).
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Greenwood
- High school or higher: 68.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greenwood town
- Never married: 23.9%
- Now married: 51.3%
- Separated: 6.3%
- Widowed: 6.2%
- Divorced: 12.3%
2.9% Foreign born (2.4% Latin America, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +250 (+42.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Greenwood:
- NANTICOKE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 12 miles; SEAFORD, DE)
- BAYHEALTH MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; DOVER, DE)
- DEER’S HEAD CENTER (about 29 miles; SALISBURY, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Greenwood:
- DOVER AFB (about 24 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 34 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 60 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: ILG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Greenwood:
- CHORMAN (about 2 miles; FARMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: D74)
- HENDERSON AVIATION (about 14 miles; FELTON, DE; Abbreviation: 0N6)
- SUSSEX COUNTY (about 19 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Abbreviation: GED)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greenwood:
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE-OWENS (about 17 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-EASTERN SHORE (about 43 miles; PRINCESS ANNE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,940)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 53 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 57 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,817)
- WILMINGTON COLLEGE (about 60 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,087)
Private high school in Greenwood:
- GREENWOOD MENNONITE SCHOOL (Students: 297; Location: ROUTE 1 BOX 62-C; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Greenwood:
- WOODBRIDGE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 770; Location: PO BOX 2007; Grades: 02 – 06)
Library in Greenwood:
- GREENWOOD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $165,870; Location: P.O. BOX 839; 18,515 books; 687 audio materials; 1,713 video materials; 260 serial subscriptions)