According to Ezinesports, Greensburg is a small town in St. Helena Parish, Louisiana with a population of around 1,500 people. The town was founded in 1809 and is the oldest settlement in the parish. It is located on the north bank of the Amite River and sits at an elevation of 36 feet above sea level. It is home to one of the oldest continuously operating cotton gins in the United States, which began operation in 1820.
Greensburg has a rich history and culture that have been preserved over the years by its residents. The town has numerous historic sites, including several antebellum homes and churches that date back to the early 1800s. There are also many old cemeteries scattered throughout town that are home to some of St. Helena’s earliest settlers.
The economy of Greensburg revolves around agriculture, timber production, and tourism. The majority of businesses are locally owned and operated small businesses such as restaurants, convenience stores, and gas stations that cater to both locals and visitors alike. Some larger employers include an industrial park and a medical center that serves both locals as well as tourists looking for medical services while they are visiting the area.
According to Fashionissupreme, Greensburg also has plenty to offer when it comes to recreational activities such as fishing on Lake Maurepas or hunting on nearby public lands managed by Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries or local hunting clubs. There are also numerous parks, trails, campgrounds, golf courses, tennis courts and more for visitors to enjoy during their stay here in Greensburg.
The community also hosts several festivals throughout the year such as Mardi Gras parades in February; Crawfish Boils in April; a Fourth of July celebration; an Arts & Crafts Festival; a Harvest Festival; an Antique Car Show; Christmas Parade; Music Festivals; Movies Under The Stars series during summer months; an annual Jambalaya Cook-Off competition; Halloween activities for kids; Holiday Lights contest at Christmas time; plus much more!
Greensburg is truly a charming small town with plenty to offer visitors from all walks of life who come here looking for peace and relaxation away from their busy lives back home.
Population: 631. Estimated population in July 2020: 615 (-2.5% change)
Males: 298 (47.2%), Females: 333 (52.8%)
Zip code: 70441
Median resident age: 40.4 years
Median household income: $25,625
Median house value: $66,600
Races in Greensburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (66.1%)
- Black (33.0%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (11.9%), English (7.6%), Irish (4.4%), German (1.6%), French (1.4%).
Elevation: 223 feet
Land area: 2.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Greensburg
- High school or higher: 64.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greensburg town
- Never married: 30.1%
- Now married: 41.9%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 17.9%
- Divorced: 8.9%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +49 (+8.4%).
Hospital/medical center in Greensburg:
- ST HELENA PARISH HOSPITAL CAH (HIGHWAY 43 NORTH)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Greensburg:
- HOOD MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; AMITE, LA)
- LALLIE KEMP REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 18 miles; INDEPENDENCE, LA)
- CLINTON REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; CLINTON, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Greensburg:
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 39 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Abbreviation: BTR)
- LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL (about 65 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Abbreviation: MSY)
- HARDY-ANDERS FIELD NATCHEZ-ADAMS COUNTY (about 68 miles; NATCHEZ, MS; Abbreviation: HEZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Greensburg:
- MC COMB/PIKE COUNTY/JOHN E LEWIS FIELD (about 28 miles; MC COMB, MS; Abbreviation: MCB)
- HAMMOND MUNI (about 28 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Abbreviation: HDC)
- FRANKLINTON (about 40 miles; FRANKLINTON, LA; Abbreviation: 2R7)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Greensburg:
- LOUISIANA TECHNICAL COLLEGE-FLORIDA PARISHES (Full-time enrollment: 83; Location: 100 College Street; Public)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greensburg:
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,549)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 43 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,399)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 47 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 28,696)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ORLEANS (about 69 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,442)
- TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 72 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 10,230)
- LOYOLA UNIVERSITY NEW ORLEANS (about 72 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,399)
- DELGADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,193)
Public high school in Greensburg:
- ST. HELENA CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 399; Location: 14340 HIGHWAY 37; Grades: 08 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Greensburg:
- ST. HELENA CENTRAL ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 543; Location: 1798 HIGHWAY 1042; Grades: PK – 04)
- ST. HELENA CENTRAL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 393; Location: 1590 HIGHWAY 1042; Grades: 04 – 08)