According to homethodology.com, Green Castle, Missouri is a small town located in Putnam County. It is situated on the banks of the Grand River, near the border with Iowa. The population of Green Castle is approximately 500 people and it has a rural feel to it.
The town was founded in 1858 by William Green and his family. They named it after their ancestral home in England. The town grew slowly over the years, but never really had any major industries or businesses that helped its growth. However, it has always had a strong sense of community and pride that has kept it going for over 150 years.
Green Castle is home to two churches: First Baptist Church and St. Paul’s Lutheran Church. Both churches have been around since the late 1800s and are still active today. There are also several small businesses around town such as a grocery store, hardware store, barber shop, diner, post office and gas station.
The landscape around Green Castle is beautiful with rolling hills, lush forests and crystal-clear rivers nearby. There are many outdoor activities to enjoy such as fishing, hunting, camping, canoeing and kayaking on the Grand River or hiking on several trails within an hour’s drive of town.
The people of Green Castle are friendly and welcoming to newcomers who wish to visit or move here permanently. They take great pride in their small-town way of life that has been passed down through generations of families who have lived here for many years now.
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Green Castle is truly a hidden gem tucked away in Putnam County Missouri with its unique charm and beauty that makes it stand out from other towns in the area. Whether you’re looking for a nice place to visit or somewhere to call home permanently, Green Castle may just be what you’ve been looking for.
Population: 308. Estimated population in July 2020: 299 (-2.9% change)
Males: 142 (46.1%), Females: 166 (53.9%)
Zip code: 63544
Median resident age: 37.0 years
Median household income: $17,500
Median house value: $17,000
Races in Greencastle:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.7%)
Ancestries: United States (15.3%), Irish (12.0%), German (9.1%), English (4.9%), Dutch (4.5%), Italian (1.9%).
Land area: 0.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Greencastle
- High school or higher: 67.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Greencastle city
- Never married: 18.9%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 15.0%
- Divorced: 9.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +54 (+21.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Greencastle:
- PUTNAM COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; UNIONVILLE, MO)
- SULLIVAN COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; MILAN, MO)
- NORTHEAST REGIONAL HEALTH SYSTEMS (about 22 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Greencastle:
- KIRKSVILLE REGIONAL (about 27 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: IRK)
- OTTUMWA INDUSTRIAL (about 66 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Abbreviation: OTM)
- DES MOINES INTL (about 103 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Abbreviation: DSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Greencastle:
- MUNICIPAL (about 21 miles; UNIONVILLE, MO; Abbreviation: K43)
- CENTERVILLE MUNI (about 30 miles; CENTERVILLE, IA; Abbreviation: TVK)
- NORTH CENTRAL MISSOURI REGIONAL (about 36 miles; BROOKFIELD, MO; Abbreviation: MO8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Greencastle:
- TRUMAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; KIRKSVILLE, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,922)
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
- GRACELAND UNIVERSITY-LAMONI (about 79 miles; LAMONI, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,026)
- DRAKE UNIVERSITY (about 108 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,227)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-COLUMBIA (about 108 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 21,444)
- COLUMBIA COLLEGE (about 108 miles; COLUMBIA, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,892)
- DES MOINES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 113 miles; ANKENY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 6,959)