According to Whicheverhealth, Grayson, Louisiana is a small, rural town located in the northwest corner of the state. It is nestled in the rolling hills of the Ouachita Mountains, and bordered by two rivers: the Little River and Bayou D’Arbonne. The town has a population of just over 1,000 people, and is largely composed of hardworking farming families who have lived in Grayson for generations.
The area around Grayson is known for its lush green forests and rolling hills, making it an ideal spot for outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, hiking and camping. The Ouachita National Forest is just to the north of Grayson, providing plenty of opportunities for exploration. The town also boasts several lakes and ponds that are perfect for swimming or boating on hot summer days.
The small-town atmosphere of Grayson provides a friendly environment where everyone knows their neighbors by name. There are several local businesses that provide goods and services to the community such as grocery stores, restaurants, banks and other retail outlets. Residents can also find medical care at nearby hospitals or clinics.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Grayson has been home to some notable figures over the years including former Louisiana governor Dave Treen and country music singer Mel Tillis who was born in nearby Keachi. The town also has its own annual festival known as “Grayson Day” which celebrates its rich history with music, food and fun activities for all ages.
In addition to its beautiful scenery and friendly atmosphere, Grayson also offers many educational opportunities with its high school being ranked among the top schools in Louisiana by U.S News & World Report in 2019. There are also several churches located within walking distance from most homes which provide spiritual guidance to residents throughout their lives.
Overall, Grayson is a wonderful place to call home with its peaceful setting combined with strong sense of community offering something special that can’t be found anywhere else in Louisiana or beyond.
Population: 531. Estimated population in July 2020: 527 (-0.8% change)
Males: 236 (44.4%), Females: 295 (55.6%)
Zip code: 71435
Median resident age: 37.9 years
Median household income: $28,125
Median house value: $60,500
Races in Grayson:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.6%)
- Black (9.8%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (20.3%), Irish (8.5%), English (8.1%), French (3.6%), German (2.4%), Italian (2.3%).
Elevation: 163 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Grayson
- High school or higher: 71.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grayson village
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 58.7%
- Separated: 4.5%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 10.7%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +3 (+0.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Grayson:
- CALDWELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; COLUMBIA, LA)
- CITIZENS MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; COLUMBIA, LA)
- RIVERBEND REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; COLUMBIA, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grayson:
- MONROE REGIONAL (about 32 miles; MONROE, LA; Abbreviation: MLU)
- ALEXANDRIA INTL (about 59 miles; ALEXANDRIA, LA; Abbreviation: AEX)
- HARDY-ANDERS FIELD NATCHEZ-ADAMS COUNTY (about 66 miles; NATCHEZ, MS; Abbreviation: HEZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grayson:
- COLUMBIA (about 7 miles; COLUMBIA, LA; Abbreviation: F86)
- OLLA (about 14 miles; OLLA, LA; Abbreviation: L47)
- JENA (about 28 miles; JENA, LA; Abbreviation: 1R1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grayson:
- UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA AT MONROE (about 34 miles; MONROE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,116)
- LOUISIANA TECH UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; RUSTON, LA; Full-time enrollment: 9,013)
- GRAMBLING STATE UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; GRAMBLING, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,299)
- NORTHWESTERN STATE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 71 miles; NATCHITOCHES, LA; Full-time enrollment: 7,710)
- ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; ALCORN STATE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,594)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-SHREVEPORT (about 108 miles; SHREVEPORT, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,059)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 109 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
Public primary/middle school in Grayson:
- GRAYSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 302; Location: 5237 HIGHWAY 126 EAST; Grades: KG – 06)