According to electronicsmatter, Gray Summit, Missouri is a small town located in Franklin County. It is just a few miles west of St. Louis and has a population of about 600 people. The town was founded in 1820 by Thomas Gray, a veteran of the War of 1812. It was originally called Graysville, but the name was changed to Gray Summit in 1872 when the railroad came to town.
The town is known for its agricultural history and has been home to many farms over the years. Today, Gray Summit is still mostly rural, with large farms and open fields as far as the eye can see. There are also several small businesses in town, including restaurants, antique stores and gas stations.
Gray Summit is also home to many historic sites that are open to visitors. The most popular attraction is Meramec Caverns, one of the largest cave systems in the country that attracts thousands of visitors each year from all over the world. Visitors can take guided tours through the caverns or explore on their own with self-guided tours available throughout the year.
The city also hosts an annual festival every summer called Graysville Days that celebrates its agricultural heritage with carnival rides, games and food vendors selling local produce and other items from around Missouri. There are also live music performances throughout the day and plenty of activities for kids too!
According to foodezine, Gray Summit is a great place to visit if you are looking for some peace and quiet away from St Louis or if you want to explore some of Missouri’s history and culture up close. It’s a charming little town with plenty of things to do for both adults and children alike.
Males: 1,310 (49.6%), Females: 1,330 (50.4%)
Zip code: 63039
Median resident age: 34.6 years
Median household income: $46,648
Median house value: $95,300
Races in Gray Summit:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (30.4%), Irish (20.1%), English (12.6%), United States (8.1%), French (6.6%), Dutch (2.7%).
Elevation: 750 feet
Land area: 7.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gray Summit
- High school or higher: 77.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gray Summit CDP
- Never married: 22.6%
- Now married: 62.7%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 2.3%
- Divorced: 10.7%
0.5% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Gray Summit:
- ST JOHNS MERCY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; WASHINGTON, MO)
- SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; SAINT CHARLES, MO)
- ST JOSEPH HOSPITAL WEST (about 21 miles; LAKE SAINT LOUIS, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gray Summit:
- SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS (about 16 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Abbreviation: SUS)
- LAMBERT-ST LOUIS INTL (about 37 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Abbreviation: STL)
- ST LOUIS REGIONAL (about 61 miles; ALTON/ST LOUIS, IL; Abbreviation: ALN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gray Summit:
- WASHINGTON MEMORIAL (about 14 miles; WASHINGTON, MO; Abbreviation: MO6)
- ST CLAIR REGIONAL (about 14 miles; ST CLAIR, MO; Abbreviation: K39)
- CREVE COEUR (about 27 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Abbreviation: 1H0)
Amtrak station near Gray Summit:
- 15 miles: WASHINGTON (FRONT & ELM STS.). Services: call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gray Summit:
- JEFFERSON COLLEGE (about 24 miles; HILLSBORO, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,568)
- ST CHARLES COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; ST PETERS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 3,301)
- MARYVILLE UNIVERSITY OF SAINT LOUIS (about 28 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- SAINT LOUIS COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MERAMEC (about 29 miles; KIRKWOOD, MO; Full-time enrollment: 7,507)
- LINDENWOOD UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; ST CHARLES, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,116)
- WEBSTER UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,252)
- WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 36 miles; ST LOUIS, MO; Full-time enrollment: 10,939)