According to ablogtophone, Granville, North Dakota is a small rural community located in the heart of the state. It is situated in the southwestern corner of Walsh County, just south of the Red River and east of Grand Forks. The population of Granville is approximately 1,000 people and it has a total area of 0.42 square miles.
Granville is an agricultural town that has been around since 1882 when it was founded by two Norwegian immigrants, John and Mary Olson. Granville was named after Granville Township which was named after Granville Stuart, an early pioneer and fur trader who established a trading post near present day Bismarck in 1872.
The main industry in Granville is farming and ranching with wheat, barley, oats, canola, flaxseed, corn and soybeans being some of the main crops grown here. There are also several small businesses located in town including a grocery store, hardware store, restaurant and barber shop.
According to beautyphoon, Granville also has its own school district which consists of one elementary school (K-6) and one high school (7-12). The schools offer a variety of activities for students including sports teams such as basketball and football as well as clubs like drama club and student council.
The town also boasts several parks such as the Granford Park which offers baseball diamonds and playgrounds for children to enjoy during their free time. There are also three churches located in town – Lutheran Church, Catholic Church and Methodist Church – that all offer worship services on Sundays throughout the year.
Granville prides itself on its community spirit with many events taking place throughout the year such as Harvest Festivals in September/October or Christmas markets at Christmas time. The town also hosts an annual fair every August which features live music performances from local bands as well as food vendors offering anything from funnel cakes to tacos!
Overall Granville is a great place to live for those who want to experience small-town living without sacrificing amenities like shopping or entertainment options that larger cities may have to offer. With its friendly people, great schools and beautiful scenery there’s no doubt that this charming community will continue to be enjoyed by many generations to come.
Population: 286. Estimated population in July 2020: 255 (-10.8% change)
Males: 149 (52.1%), Females: 137 (47.9%)
Zip code: 58741
Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $24,444
Median house value: $31,900
Races in Granville:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.5%)
- American Indian (2.4%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
Ancestries: Norwegian (52.1%), German (39.9%), Irish (10.8%), Dutch (7.3%), English (4.2%), Polish (2.8%).
Elevation: 1515 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Granville
- High school or higher: 76.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Granville city
- Never married: 17.8%
- Now married: 64.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 6.6%
2.4% Foreign born (1.7% North America, 0.7% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +51 (+21.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Granville:
- TRINITY ST JOSEPH’S HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; MINOT, ND)
- COMMUNITY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL-CAH (about 50 miles; TURTLE LAKE, ND)
- ST ANDREWS HEALTH CENTER – CAH (about 51 miles; BOTTINEAU, ND)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Granville:
- MINOT INTL (about 30 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MOT)
- MINOT AFB (about 37 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MIB)
- BISMARCK MUNI (about 104 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Abbreviation: BIS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Granville:
- TOWNER MUNI (about 33 miles; TOWNER, ND; Abbreviation: D61)
- WESTHOPE MUNI (about 46 miles; WESTHOPE, ND; Abbreviation: D64)
- BOTTINEAU MUNI (about 48 miles; BOTTINEAU, ND; Abbreviation: D09)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Granville:
- MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; MINOT, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- BISMARCK STATE COLLEGE (about 99 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,205)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY (about 104 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,203)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 252 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 262 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 284 miles; FARGO, ND; Full-time enrollment: 8,836)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 315 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
Public high school in Granville:
- GRANVILLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 71; Location: 210 6TH ST SW; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Granville:
- GRANVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 82; Location: 210 6TH ST SW; Grades: PK – 06)