According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Gooding, Idaho is a small city located in the south-central region of the state. It is situated in the western part of Gooding County, which is part of the Magic Valley region. As of 2019, the population of Gooding was estimated to be around 3,600 people.
The city was founded in 1883 by William Gooding and his son Edward. The town was originally named “Goodingsville,” but it was later shortened to “Gooding.” The area’s economy has historically been based on agriculture and ranching, but it has since diversified to include manufacturing and services.
The climate in Gooding is semi-arid with hot summers and cold winters. The average high temperature during summer months is around 90°F (32°C), while average lows during winter months are around 20°F (-7°C). Rainfall averages about 13 inches (33 cm) per year, with most precipitation falling between April and October.
According to Topbbacolleges, Gooding is home to various attractions such as a historic downtown district that features several historic buildings, including the old county courthouse and a restored opera house. There are also several parks located throughout the city such as Kennedy Park and Centennial Park. Other popular attractions include the Gooding County Historical Museum, which showcases artifacts from local history, as well as nearby outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, hiking and hunting.
Gooding also hosts several annual events throughout the year including rodeos, car shows, parades and more. The city also plays host to an annual festival known as “Idaho Days,” which celebrates its agricultural heritage with a variety of activities for all ages.
Overall, Gooding offers its residents a unique blend of history, culture and outdoor recreation opportunities that make it an ideal place for anyone looking for an enjoyable small-town lifestyle. With its friendly atmosphere and close proximity to larger cities like Boise or Twin Falls, this charming community offers something for everyone.
Population: 3,384. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,320 (-1.9% change)
Males: 1,682 (49.7%), Females: 1,702 (50.3%)
Zip code: 83330
Median resident age: 37.0 years
Median household income: $29,316
Median house value: $66,500
Races in Gooding:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.5%)
- Hispanic (14.8%)
- Other race (6.0%)
- Two or more races (2.6%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (15.4%), United States (9.8%), German (9.7%), Irish (8.5%), Dutch (2.9%), Danish (2.8%).
Elevation: 3573 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gooding
- High school or higher: 66.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gooding city
- Never married: 16.6%
- Now married: 57.9%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 14.4%
- Divorced: 9.5%
9.0% Foreign born (7.2% Latin America, 1.8% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +519 (+18.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Gooding:
- GOODING COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (1120 MONTANA STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Gooding:
- ST BENEDICT’S FAMILY MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; JEROME, ID)
- MAGIC VALLEY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 33 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID)
- ST LUKE’S MEDICAL CENTER – WOOD RIVER (about 58 miles; KETCHUM, ID)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gooding:
- JOSLIN FIELD – MAGIC VALLEY RGNL (about 37 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Abbreviation: TWF)
- FRIEDMAN MEMORIAL (about 49 miles; HAILEY, ID; Abbreviation: SUN)
- BOISE AIR TERMINAL/GOWEN FLD (about 113 miles; BOISE, ID; Abbreviation: BOI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gooding:
- GOODING MUNI (about 3 miles; GOODING, ID; Abbreviation: GNG)
- JEROME COUNTY (about 24 miles; JEROME, ID; Abbreviation: JER)
- BUHL MUNI (about 25 miles; BUHL, ID; Abbreviation: U03)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gooding:
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 33 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
- BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 112 miles; BOISE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 12,033)
- IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 168 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY (about 215 miles; LOGAN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 16,384)
- RICKS COLLEGE (about 217 miles; REXBURG, ID; Full-time enrollment: 8,670)
- WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY (about 226 miles; OGDEN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 12,112)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-UTAH CAMPUS (about 249 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,021)
Public high schools in Gooding:
- GOODING HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 349; Location: 1050 7TH AVENUE WEST; Grades: 09 – 12)
- GOODING ACCLRTED LEARNING CNTR (Students: 58; Location: 906 MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gooding:
- GOODING ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 588; Location: 1045 7TH AVENUE WEST; Grades: PK – 05)
- GOODING MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 312; Location: 1045 7TH AVENUE WEST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- IDAHO SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF AND BLIND (Students: 83; Location: 1450 MAIN STREET; Grades: PK – 12)
Library in Gooding:
- GOODING PUBLIC (Operating income: $73,674; Location: 306 FIFTH AVE W; 22,221 books; 219 audio materials; 327 video materials; 68 serial subscriptions)