According to foodezine, Garyville is a small town located in St. John the Baptist Parish, Louisiana. It is situated on the west bank of the Mississippi River, approximately 30 miles from New Orleans and 25 miles from Baton Rouge. The town was founded in 1806 and has a population of approximately 2,500 people.
The town is known for its rural charm, with picturesque streets lined with large oak trees and historic homes. It has a small-town feel with many local businesses that provide services to the community, such as restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, banks and various other shops.
The main attraction in Garyville is its annual Mardi Gras celebration which takes place in February each year. During this time the streets are filled with colorful floats and parades that make their way through town while music plays and crowds cheer. This event brings thousands of visitors to Garyville each year who come to experience the unique culture of Louisiana’s Mardi Gras celebrations.
The town also offers a variety of recreational activities for residents and visitors alike including fishing at nearby lakes or rivers, camping in one of the local parks or taking advantage of bird watching opportunities at nearby wildlife refuges. Shopping opportunities are also plentiful with many antique stores scattered throughout Garyville as well as flea markets and craft stores featuring handmade items from local artisans.
According to fun-wiki, Garyville is also home to several churches ranging from traditional denominations such as Catholic, Baptist or Methodist to non-denominational churches like Pentecostal or Seventh Day Adventist congregations which offer services in both English and Spanish. Education options include both public schools within the St John Parish school district as well as private schools such as Ascension Catholic School which offers classes for grades pre-K through 8th grade.
Overall Garyville is a charming small town steeped in Southern culture where you can experience all that Louisiana has to offer without having to travel too far from home. The friendly people living here will make you feel welcome whether you’re visiting for the day or planning on staying longer term—and you’ll find plenty to do no matter what your interests may be.
Males: 1,306 (47.1%), Females: 1,469 (52.9%)
Zip code: 70051
Median resident age: 33.0 years
Median household income: $29,375
Median house value: $54,300
Races in Garyville:
- Black (52.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (46.2%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: French (21.2%), German (8.4%), United States (5.2%), Italian (2.2%), French Canadian (1.7%), Irish (1.4%).
Elevation: 14 feet
Land area: 20.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Garyville
- High school or higher: 64.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.7%
- Unemployed: 10.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Garyville CDP
- Never married: 30.7%
- Now married: 48.6%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 10.8%
0.3% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Garyville:
- ST JAMES PARISH HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; LUTCHER, LA)
- ST JAMES PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; LUTCHER, LA)
- LAPLACE REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; LA PLACE, LA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Garyville:
- LOUIS ARMSTRONG NEW ORLEANS INTL (about 26 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Abbreviation: MSY)
- LAKEFRONT (about 42 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Abbreviation: NEW)
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 48 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Abbreviation: BTR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Garyville:
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST PARISH (about 5 miles; RESERVE, LA; Abbreviation: 1L0)
- LOUISIANA REGIONAL (about 24 miles; GONZALES, LA; Abbreviation: L38)
- THIBODAUX MUNICIPAL (about 27 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; Abbreviation: L83)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Garyville:
- NICHOLLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; THIBODAUX, LA; Full-time enrollment: 6,244)
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,549)
- TULANE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 35 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 10,230)
- LOYOLA UNIVERSITY NEW ORLEANS (about 35 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 4,399)
- XAVIER UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA (about 37 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 3,659)
- DELGADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 38 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,193)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY-HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER (about 39 miles; NEW ORLEANS, LA; Full-time enrollment: 2,496)
Public primary/middle schools in Garyville:
- GARYVILLE/MT. AIRY MATH & SCIENCE MAGNET SCHL. (Students: 568; Location: 240 HIGHWAY 54; Grades: KG – 08)
- ST. JOHN CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTER (Students: 184; Location: 117 STEBBINS STREET; Grades: PK – KG)
- ST. JOHN REDIRECTION CENTER (Students: 44; Location: 152 ANTHONY F MONICA STREET; Grades: KG – 12)