Gardendale, Alabama is a small city located in the northern part of the state, about 15 miles north of Birmingham. It is part of the Birmingham-Hoover metropolitan area and is situated in Jefferson County. The city has an estimated population of 13,566 people according to the 2019 U.S. Census estimates. The city was founded in 1948 and has grown rapidly since then, becoming one of the most desirable places to live in the state.
According to watchtutorials, Gardendale is known for its low crime rate, excellent schools, and strong sense of community spirit. Residents enjoy a variety of recreational activities including golfing at one of two nearby courses, swimming at the Gardendale City Pool or visiting one of several parks such as Black Creek Park or Founders Park which offer playgrounds, ball fields and walking trails. Gardendale also hosts several annual events such as its Fourth of July celebration which includes a parade and fireworks display as well as an annual Christmas parade each December.
The city has seen tremendous growth over recent years with many new businesses opening up shop in Gardendale’s downtown area including restaurants, retail stores and professional services such as doctors’ offices and banks. The city also boasts a number of churches representing various denominations that serve local residents’ spiritual needs.
Gardendale’s school system consists of five elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school which all have been recognized for their excellence by both local and national organizations. The district also offers a variety of extracurricular activities ranging from academics to sports teams such as football, basketball and baseball for students to participate in after school hours or on weekends.
According to ablogtophone, Gardendale is home to numerous medical facilities including Brookwood Medical Center located just outside the city limits which serves a wide range of medical needs for patients from surrounding communities as well as those living within Gardendale itself.
In addition to its excellent educational opportunities and strong sense of community spirit Gardendale also offers housing options ranging from single family homes to apartment complexes with many amenities available nearby including grocery stores, restaurants shopping centers movie theaters etc making it an ideal place for families looking for a safe environment in which to raise their children while still having access to all that metropolitan living has to offer without having to go too far away from home.
Population: 11,626. Estimated population in July 2020: 12,830 (+10.4% change)
Males: 5,437 (46.8%), Females: 6,189 (53.2%)
Zip code: 35071
Median resident age: 41.5 years
Median household income: $45,786
Median house value: $110,200
Races in Gardendale:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.7%)
- Black (1.5%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (24.4%), Irish (9.5%), English (9.0%), German (7.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.9%), French (2.6%).
Elevation: 680 feet
Land area: 17.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Gardendale
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.1%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Gardendale city
- Never married: 17.0%
- Now married: 64.2%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 9.7%
1.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1,784 (+18.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Gardendale:
- CARRAWAY METHODIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL)
- HILL CREST BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SERVICES (about 10 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL)
- CALLAHAN EYE FOUNDATION HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Gardendale:
- BIRMINGHAM INTL (about 9 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Abbreviation: BHM)
- TALLADEGA MUNI (about 54 miles; TALLADEGA, AL; Abbreviation: ASN)
- TUSCALOOSA REGIONAL (about 63 miles; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Abbreviation: TCL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Gardendale:
- BESSEMER (about 26 miles; BESSEMER, AL; Abbreviation: EKY)
- SHELBY COUNTY (about 35 miles; ALABASTER, AL; Abbreviation: EET)
- ROBBINS FIELD (about 38 miles; ONEONTA, AL; Abbreviation: 20A)
Amtrak station near Gardendale:
- 11 miles: BIRMINGHAM (1819 MORRIS AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Gardendale:
- JEFFERSON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,279)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA AT BIRMINGHAM (about 12 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Full-time enrollment: 12,178)
- SAMFORD UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,106)
- BEVILL STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; SUMITON, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,670)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLL-HANCEVILLE (about 27 miles; HANCEVILLE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,272)
- UNIVERSITY OF MONTEVALLO (about 38 miles; MONTEVALLO, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,651)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA (about 59 miles; TUSCALOOSA, AL; Full-time enrollment: 17,453)
Public high school in Gardendale:
- GARDENDALE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 886; Location: 800 MAIN ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Gardendale:
- TABERNACLE CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 275; Location: 2649 DECATUR HWY; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Gardendale:
- BRAGG MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 772; Location: 840 ASH AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- GARDENDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 600; Location: 860 BAUER LN; Grades: KG – 05)
- SNOW ROGERS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 222; Location: 2636 SNOW ROGERS RD; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Gardendale:
- GARDENDALE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 196; Location: 1800 DECATUR HIGHWAY; Grades: PK – 6)
Library in Gardendale:
- GARDENDALE- MARTHA MOORE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $396,432; Location: 995 MT. OLIVE ROAD; 53,218 books; 2,195 audio materials; 2,262 video materials; 68 serial subscriptions)