According to bestitude, Frenchburg is a small, rural town located in Menifee County, Kentucky. The town is situated on the north side of the Red River, which runs through the county. With a population of just over 500 people, Frenchburg is an ideal place for those looking for a peaceful, laid-back lifestyle. The town is surrounded by lush rolling hills and forests that offer plenty of opportunities for outdoor exploration and recreation.
The town was established in 1806 by two brothers, William and John French. It was originally named French’s Station but was later changed to Frenchburg in honor of the two brothers. The town has remained relatively unchanged over the years and still retains much of its original charm and character.
According to biotionary, Frenchburg has several businesses that cater to locals as well as visitors passing through the area. There are several restaurants where you can enjoy classic American dishes or sample some local favorites such as fried catfish or pulled pork sandwiches. There are also several shops where you can find unique gifts and souvenirs from the area or pick up supplies for your next outdoor adventure.
There are plenty of recreational activities to keep you busy during your stay in Frenchburg. If you love fishing, then head out to one of the many nearby lakes or rivers where you can cast your line for bass, crappie, catfish, and more! Hiking enthusiasts will love exploring Cave Run Lake State Park which features more than 8 miles of trails with stunning views throughout the park. You can also take advantage of numerous camping areas located throughout Menifee County so you can stay overnight surrounded by nature’s beauty!
For those interested in history, there are several sites around Frenchburg that provide insight into its past such as Union Church which was established in 1819 and served as a Civil War hospital during this time period. You can also visit some historical sites such as Daniel Boone’s grave located near Natural Bridge State Resort Park or explore some old cemeteries scattered throughout Menifee County that date back to early settlers who lived in this area long ago.
Overall, Frenchburg is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a peaceful getaway with plenty to do both outdoors and indoors! Whether it’s fishing on one of its many lakes or rivers; exploring historical sites; visiting local shops; or simply enjoying the natural beauty surrounding this small community – there’s something here for everyone.
Population: 551. Estimated population in July 2020: 569 (+3.3% change)
Males: 243 (44.1%), Females: 308 (55.9%)
Zip code: 40322
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $22,350
Median house value: $49,000
Races in Frenchburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.5%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
Ancestries: United States (17.4%), English (15.4%), Irish (8.2%), German (4.4%), French (2.4%), Dutch (1.1%).
Land area: 1.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Frenchburg
- High school or higher: 70.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.8%
- Unemployed: 10.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Frenchburg city
- Never married: 11.9%
- Now married: 62.5%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 16.2%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -77 (-12.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Frenchburg:
- ST CLAIRE MEDICAL CENTER (about 22 miles; MOREHEAD, KY)
- MARY CHILES HOSP (about 23 miles; MOUNT STERLING, KY)
- MORGAN COUNTY ARH CRITICAL ACCESS HOSP (about 27 miles; WEST LIBERTY, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Frenchburg:
- BLUE GRASS (about 68 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Abbreviation: LEX)
- TRI-STATE/MILTON J. FERGUSON FIELD (about 80 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Abbreviation: HTS)
- CINCINNATI MUNI AIRPORT LUNKEN FIELD (about 96 miles; CINCINNATI, OH; Abbreviation: LUK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Frenchburg:
- MOREHEAD-ROWAN COUNTY (about 14 miles; MOREHEAD, KY; Abbreviation: I32)
- STANTON (about 16 miles; STANTON, KY; Abbreviation: I50)
- MOUNT STERLING-MONTGOMERY COUNTY (about 25 miles; MOUNT STERLING, KY; Abbreviation: IOB)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Frenchburg:
- MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; MOREHEAD, KY; Full-time enrollment: 6,866)
- EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; RICHMOND, KY; Full-time enrollment: 11,214)
- UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY (about 62 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 20,492)
- LEXINGTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 62 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 5,437)
- SHAWNEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,849)
- NORTHERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY (about 87 miles; HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, KY; Full-time enrollment: 9,668)
- MARSHALL UNIVERSITY (about 89 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Full-time enrollment: 12,361)
Public high schools in Frenchburg:
- MENIFEE COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 349; Location: HCR 69, BOX 347; Grades: 09 – 12)
- FRENCHBURG ACADEMY ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 10; Location: HC 68 BOX 2170; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Frenchburg:
- MENIFEE COUNTY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 270; Location: HCR 69 BOX 343; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MENIFEE COUNTY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 264; Location: HCR 69 BOX 340; Grades: KG – 05)
- FRENCHBURG GROUP HOME ALTERNATIVE SCHOOL (Students: 5; Location: HWY 36 STONE QUARRY RD; Grades: 06 – 12)
Library in Frenchburg:
- MENIFEE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $80,830; Location: 140 WALNUT STREET; 17,214 books; 305 audio materials; 730 video materials; 63 serial subscriptions)