According to deluxesurveillance, Frederica, Delaware is a small, unincorporated community located in Kent County. It is situated along the banks of the Murderkill River and within the boundaries of the town of Little Creek. The population of Frederica is approximately 1,500 people and it is part of the Dover Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The history of Frederica dates back to 1677 when Dutch settlers first established a trading post near what is now known as Little Creek. The settlement was called “Nieuw Amstel” and it was located near what is now known as Frederica. In 1743, a ferry service was established at Little Creek and this enabled farmers to transport their goods to market in Dover. This ferry service eventually became known as Frederica Ferry and it remains in operation today.
The town itself grew slowly but steadily over the years and by 1820 had grown to include several stores, two churches, a schoolhouse, a post office, and several taverns. The town was officially incorporated in 1878 under the name “Frederica” after Frederick Augustus Conner who served as Delaware’s first governor from 1777-1790.
According to electronicsmatter, Frederica remains a small but vibrant community known for its strong sense of community pride and its commitment to preserving its historical heritage. Residents enjoy easy access to nearby Dover Air Force Base which provides jobs for many local residents as well as an array of recreational opportunities such as golf courses, parks and trails throughout Kent County. There are also several historic sites located in or near Frederica including the historic homes at Newbold House State Park which offers tours throughout the year.
The downtown area offers residents an array of unique shops offering everything from antiques to clothing items while restaurants serving up everything from classic American fare to international cuisine can be found throughout town providing locals with plenty of dining options throughout the year. Throughout each season there are plenty of events held in or near Frederica including festivals celebrating local culture such as Seafood Festivals held each June or July at nearby Bowers Beach or craft fairs held in October at Killen’s Pond State Park just outside town limits which provide visitors with plenty to do during their stay in this charming community on Delaware’s eastern shoreline.
Population: 648. Estimated population in July 2020: 697 (+7.6% change)
Males: 303 (46.8%), Females: 345 (53.2%)
Zip code: 19946
Median resident age: 35.4 years
Median household income: $30,781
Median house value: $76,300
Races in Frederica:
- White Non-Hispanic (67.4%)
- Black (26.9%)
- Hispanic (3.2%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: Irish (12.2%), German (11.7%), United States (11.1%), English (7.4%), Italian (2.6%), Norwegian (1.2%).
Elevation: 20 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Frederica
- High school or higher: 65.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.3%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Frederica town
- Never married: 26.7%
- Now married: 44.7%
- Separated: 4.0%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 12.1%
2.6% Foreign born (1.7% Europe, 0.6% Latin America, 0.3% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -123 (-16.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Frederica:
- BAYHEALTH MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; DOVER, DE)
- NANTICOKE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL INC (about 28 miles; SEAFORD, DE)
- BEEBE MEDICAL CENTER (about 28 miles; LEWES, DE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Frederica:
- DOVER AFB (about 8 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: DOV)
- NEW CASTLE COUNTY (about 47 miles; WILMINGTON, DE; Abbreviation: ILG)
- SALISBURY-OCEAN CITY WICOMICO REGIONAL (about 47 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Abbreviation: SBY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Frederica:
- HENDERSON AVIATION (about 5 miles; FELTON, DE; Abbreviation: 0N6)
- DELDOT HELISTOP (about 9 miles; DOVER, DE; Abbreviation: 0N5)
- JENKINS (about 11 miles; WYOMING, DE; Abbreviation: 15N)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Frederica:
- DELAWARE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; Dover, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,641)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL AND COMMUNITY COLLEGE-OWENS (about 24 miles; GEORGETOWN, DE; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE (about 40 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 17,786)
- SALISBURY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; SALISBURY, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,645)
- DELAWARE TECHNICAL & COMM COLL-STANTON-WILMINGTON (about 46 miles; NEWARK, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,817)
- WILMINGTON COLLEGE (about 47 miles; NEW CASTLE, DE; Full-time enrollment: 3,087)
- ROWAN UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; GLASSBORO, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,587)
Public primary/middle school in Frederica:
- LAKE FOREST EAST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 324; Location: 124 WEST FRONT STREET; Grades: KG – 04)