Foley, Alabama is a small city located in Baldwin County, about 25 miles northeast of Mobile. It is part of the Daphne-Fairhope-Foley Metropolitan Statistical Area. Foley is known for its beautiful beaches, historic downtown area, and variety of recreational activities.
According to beautyphoon, Foley was originally inhabited by Native American tribes until the early 1800s when European settlers began to move into the area. The town was officially founded in 1906 and named after Colonel John B. Foley, who owned much of the land in the area at that time.
Today, Foley is a popular tourist destination with a population of approximately 16,000 people. The city has several attractions to explore including Heritage Park which features a replica of an old-fashioned train station and a large outdoor amphitheater. Other attractions include the Foley Railroad Museum, which tells the history of railroads in Alabama; and Graham Creek Nature Preserve with its trails and wetlands for wildlife viewing.
Foley also offers numerous outdoor recreational activities such as fishing, boating, camping, golfing, hiking and biking trails as well as numerous parks for leisurely strolls or picnics with friends or family members. There are also several public beaches nearby including Gulf Shores State Park which offers white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters perfect for swimming or sunbathing.
The historic downtown district features many interesting shops and restaurants ranging from antiques to clothing boutiques to ethnic eateries such as Mexican restaurants or Greek diners. There are also specialty stores such as wineries where visitors can sample local wines or candy shops where they can buy unique treats like fudge or taffy made fresh daily!
According to bestitude, Foley is home to several annual events that attract visitors from all over the world including an Arts & Crafts Festival held each May; an Annual Balloon Race held each October; an Annual Mardi Gras Parade held each February; and an Annual Car Show held each August featuring classic cars from all eras!
Overall Foley is a great place to visit if you’re looking for some fun in the sun! With its beautiful beaches, historic downtown district, variety of recreational activities and interesting shopping venues it’s sure to be an enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
Males: 3,479 (45.8%), Females: 4,111 (54.2%)
Zip codes: 36535.
Median resident age: 39.6 years
Median household income: $31,596
Median house value: $97,900
Races in Foley:
- White Non-Hispanic (71.4%)
- Black (21.9%)
- Hispanic (4.6%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
Ancestries: English (10.9%), German (10.6%), Irish (8.5%), United States (7.5%), Scotch-Irish (4.4%), French (3.5%).
Elevation: 79 feet
Land area: 14.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Foley
- High school or higher: 77.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 3.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Foley city
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 53.1%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 13.2%
3.7% Foreign born (2.3% Latin America, 0.7% Europe, 0.6% Asia).
Hospital/medical center in Foley:
- SOUTH BALDWIN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (1613 NORTH MCKENZIE STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Foley:
- THOMAS HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; FAIRHOPE, AL)
- MERCY MEDICAL A CORPORATION (about 21 miles; DAPHNE, AL)
- BAPTIST HOSPITAL (about 32 miles; PENSACOLA, FL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Foley:
- MOBILE DOWNTOWN (about 31 miles; MOBILE, AL; Abbreviation: BFM)
- PENSACOLA REGIONAL (about 35 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Abbreviation: PNS)
- MOBILE REGIONAL (about 43 miles; MOBILE, AL; Abbreviation: MOB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Foley:
- FOLEY MUNI (about 2 miles; FOLEY, AL; Abbreviation: 5R4)
- JACK EDWARDS (about 9 miles; GULF SHORES, AL; Abbreviation: JKA)
- H L SONNY CALLAHAN (about 14 miles; FAIRHOPE, AL; Abbreviation: 4R4)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Foley:
- MEDICAL INSTITUTE (Full-time enrollment: 23; Location: 914 N MCKENZIE ST; Private, for-profit)
- SOUTH ALABAMA BEAUTY COLLEGE (Location: 2861 S MCKENZIE ST; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Foley:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA-BALDWIN (about 16 miles; FAIRHOPE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 5,582)
- BISHOP STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,758)
- JAMES H FAULKNER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 33 miles; BAY MINETTE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,050)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 34 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,282)
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 35 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,036)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA (about 40 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,082)
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,374)
Public high school in Foley:
- FOLEY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,148; Location: 1 PRIDE PL; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Foley:
- OPEN DOOR CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 197; Location: 20774 COUNTY ROAD 12 E; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Foley:
- FOLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 719; Location: 201 N PINE ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- FOLEY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 564; Location: 200 N CEDAR ST; Grades: KG – 03)
- MAGNOLIA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 471; Location: 13317 COUNTY ROAD 55; Grades: KG – 06)
- FOLEY INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 269; Location: 2000 S CEDAR ST; Grades: 04 – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Foley:
- VICTORY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 52; Location: 20511 COUNTY ROAD 12; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Foley:
- FOLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $307,497; Location: 319 EAST LAUREL AVENUE; 37,712 books; 1,486 audio materials; 873 video materials; 94 serial subscriptions)