According to foodezine, Flowery Branch, Georgia is a small city located in the northeastern part of the state, just over 30 miles from Atlanta. It is a suburb of Atlanta and is part of Hall County. Founded in 1855, Flowery Branch has a population of 7,100 as of 2020.
The city’s namesake comes from its location near the confluence of two rivers: the Flowery Branch and the Chattahoochee River. This area was historically used by Native Americans for trading and fishing, and its name was derived from an Indian phrase that means “many flowers”.
The city has a rich history, having been home to many different groups throughout its existence. During the Civil War it served as an important supply center for Confederate troops. After the war, it became a popular stop on the Atlanta to Charlotte railway line that connected the two cities. The first post office in Flowery Branch opened in 1872 and today it serves as a reminder of its past importance as an economic hub for Hall County.
Today Flowery Branch is known for its natural beauty and recreational activities such as fishing, boating, hiking and camping at nearby parks like Little Mulberry Park or Lake Lanier Islands Resort & Spa. The city also has several golf courses and other attractions like Buford Dam Park or Gainesville State Park which are great places to spend time outdoors with family or friends.
According to fun-wiki, Flowery Branch also boasts several locally-owned businesses such as restaurants and boutiques which are sure to satisfy any craving or shopping need you may have while visiting this charming town! In addition to these local businesses there are also plenty of national chains like Walmart Supercenter or Target which make shopping convenient for those who don’t necessarily want to venture too far away from home when looking for something specific.
For entertainment options there are movie theaters, bowling alleys, mini-golf courses and more all within easy access from downtown Flowery Branch! There are also plenty of annual events throughout the year such as Fourth Friday Festivals which bring together locals and visitors alike with live music performances, food vendors, art exhibits and more!
Flowery Branch is truly a wonderful place to visit or call home – no matter what your interests may be! From outdoor activities to shopping opportunities to entertainment options galore – this small town offers something for everyone.
Population: 1,806. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,087 (+15.6% change)
Males: 918 (50.8%), Females: 888 (49.2%)
Zip code: 30542
Median resident age: 31.2 years
Median household income: $35,478
Median house value: $97,500
Races in Flowery Branch:
- White Non-Hispanic (75.7%)
- Black (13.2%)
- Hispanic (9.7%)
- Other race (2.2%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (23.6%), Irish (10.4%), English (5.5%), German (5.4%), Italian (2.0%), Dutch (1.2%).
Elevation: 1115 feet
Land area: 2.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Flowery Branch
- High school or higher: 68.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Flowery Branch town
- Never married: 27.8%
- Now married: 46.1%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 4.7%
- Divorced: 19.5%
10.2% Foreign born (8.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +455 (+33.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Flowery Branch:
- NORTHEAST GEORGIA MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; GAINESVILLE, GA)
- GWINNETT HOSPITAL SYSTEM (about 17 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, GA)
- BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 18 miles; CUMMING, GA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Flowery Branch:
- DOBBINS AIR RESERVE BASE (about 45 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Abbreviation: MGE)
- ATHENS/BEN EPPS (about 46 miles; ATHENS, GA; Abbreviation: AHN)
- THE WILLIAM B HARTSFIELD ATLANTA INTL (about 51 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Abbreviation: ATL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Flowery Branch:
- LEE GILMER MEMORIAL (about 10 miles; GAINESVILLE, GA; Abbreviation: GVL)
- GWINNETT COUNTY – BRISCOE FIELD (about 16 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, GA; Abbreviation: LZU)
- WINDER-BARROW (about 24 miles; WINDER, GA; Abbreviation: WDR)
Amtrak station near Flowery Branch:
- 10 miles: GAINESVILLE (104 SE 1ST AVE.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Flowery Branch:
- GAINESVILLE COLLEGE (about 5 miles; OAKWOOD, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,181)
- GWINNETT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 15 miles; LAWRENCEVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,215)
- NORTH GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; DAHLONEGA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,119)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 39 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- EMORY UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; ATLANTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 10,839)
- GEORGIA PERIMETER COLLEGE (about 41 miles; DECATUR, GA; Full-time enrollment: 8,213)
- UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA (about 42 miles; ATHENS, GA; Full-time enrollment: 28,464)
Public high school in Flowery Branch:
- FLOWERY BRANCH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 967; Location: 4450 HOG MOUNTAIN ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Flowery Branch:
- C. W. DAVIS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 879; Location: 4335 FALCON PARKWAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MARTIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 863; Location: 4216 MARTIN ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- SPOUT SPRINGS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 682; Location: 6640 SPOUT SPRINGS ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- FLOWERY BRANCH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 629; Location: 5544 RADFORD ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- CHESTNUT MOUNTAIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 529; Location: 4670 WINDER HIGHWAY; Grades: PK – 05)