vFlorala is a small town located in Covington County, Alabama. It is situated along the banks of the Choctawhatchee River and Lake Jackson. The population was recorded as 1,819 at the 2010 census.
The area that Florala now occupies was once inhabited by Native American tribes such as the Choctaw and Creek Indians. The town was founded in 1885 and named after Florence and Lavinia, two daughters of one of its earliest settlers, Dr. William Butler Johnson.
According to deluxesurveillance, Florala has a rich history of industry and commerce, largely based on its timber resources and cotton production in the early 1900s. In 1906, Florala became the first town in Covington County to be incorporated. By 1910, it had a population of 1,000 people with many businesses including sawmills, gristmills, cotton gins and stores.
Today Florala continues to thrive as a small rural community with a strong sense of community pride and spirit. It is home to numerous churches providing religious services for all denominations including Baptist, Methodist, Catholic and Non-denominational churches. There are also several schools in the area which provide quality education for students from kindergarten through high school graduation.
In addition to its educational offerings there are plenty of recreational activities available for residents to enjoy such as boating on Lake Jackson or fishing along the banks of the Choctawhatchee River; or simply taking time out to enjoy nature by visiting one of several nearby parks or trails including Lake Jackson State Park or Bear Creek Nature Trail which provides visitors with spectacular views of rolling hillsides covered with wildflowers in springtime while offering hiking trails through forests filled with wildlife such as deer and turkeys year round.
For those seeking more urban amenities Florala is just 30 minutes away from Dothan which offers shopping malls and entertainment facilities such as movie theaters; while it’s two hours away from beaches on Florida’s Gulf Coast making it an ideal location for weekend getaways or summer vacations for families looking for some fun in the sun!
Overall Florala is an ideal place to live for families looking for a safe environment where they can raise their children while still having access to all amenities that larger cities can offer but without sacrificing their rural lifestyle; making it truly unique among towns found in Alabama’s Wiregrass Region.
Population: 1,964. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,893 (-3.6% change)
Males: 888 (45.2%), Females: 1,076 (54.8%)
Zip code: 36442
Median resident age: 42.0 years
Median household income: $17,377
Median house value: $38,900
Races in Florala:
- White Non-Hispanic (79.5%)
- Black (15.7%)
- Hispanic (2.6%)
- American Indian (1.7%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Other race (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (26.5%), Irish (8.9%), English (5.0%), German (3.8%), Italian (1.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.6%).
Elevation: 265 feet
Land area: 10.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Florala
- High school or higher: 63.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 12.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Florala city
- Never married: 20.8%
- Now married: 51.2%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 14.2%
- Divorced: 11.6%
1.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -163 (-7.7%).
Hospital/medical center in Florala:
- FLORALA MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (515 EAST FIFTH AVENUE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Florala:
- MIZELL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; OPP, AL)
- HEALTHMARK REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 22 miles; DEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL)
- ANDALUSIA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; ANDALUSIA, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Florala:
- HURLBURT FIELD (about 48 miles; MARY ESTHER, FL; Abbreviation: HRT)
- DOTHAN RGNL (about 66 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Abbreviation: DHN)
- PENSACOLA REGIONAL (about 71 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Abbreviation: PNS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Florala:
- FLORALA MUNI (about 3 miles; FLORALA, AL; Abbreviation: 0J4)
- ANDALUSIA-OPP (about 21 miles; ANDALUSIA/OPP, AL; Abbreviation: 79J)
- BOB SIKES (about 22 miles; CRESTVIEW, FL; Abbreviation: CEW)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Florala:
- OKALOOSA-WALTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; NICEVILLE, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,374)
- TROY STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 61 miles; TROY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,143)
- GEORGE C WALLACE STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-DOTHAN (about 66 miles; DOTHAN, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,703)
- PENSACOLA JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 70 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,036)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF WEST FLORIDA (about 70 miles; PENSACOLA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 6,282)
- GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 75 miles; PANAMA CITY, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,140)
- AUBURN UNIVERSITY-MONTGOMERY (about 85 miles; MONTGOMERY, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,677)
Public high school in Florala:
- FLORALA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 152; Location: 22114 BEGONIA ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Florala:
- FLORALA CITY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 99; Location: 22975 SEVENTH AVE.; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Florala:
- FLORALA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $40,882; Location: 510 NORTH 4TH STREET; 12,041 books; 345 audio materials; 701 video materials; 44 serial subscriptions)