According to Whicheverhealth, Espanola, New Mexico is a small town located in the northern part of the state. It is situated in Rio Arriba County and is part of the Santa Fe Metropolitan Statistical Area. The city was settled by Spanish colonists in 1598 and has since become a culturally diverse community with a rich history and vibrant culture.
The city has a population of around 10,000 people and is known for its traditional Hispanic culture. Many people living in Espanola still speak Spanish as their primary language and the town has several Mexican restaurants, shops, and other businesses that cater to the large Hispanic population. The area also hosts numerous festivals throughout the year that celebrate its diverse cultural heritage including the Fiestas de Española, which features traditional music, dancing, food, artisans, and more.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Espanola is home to several recreational activities such as fishing on the Rio Grande River or hiking through nearby mountains like El Salto or Las Trampas Wilderness Areas. There are also a variety of parks throughout the town such as Espanola Valley Sports Complex and Pueblo Park that offer playgrounds, picnic areas, basketball courts, tennis courts, and more.
The city has two public school districts: Española Public Schools and Ohkay Owingeh Tribal Schools. The local high school is Española Valley High School which serves grades 9-12 for both districts combined. There are also several private schools in Espanola including St Joseph Catholic School and St Jude’s Catholic School as well as various charter schools like Desert Sage Academy Charter School.
In addition to education opportunities Espanola offers plenty of entertainment options for visitors to enjoy such as its historic downtown area with unique shops selling local wares or galleries showcasing local artwork from painters like San Ildefonso Pueblo artist Tony Da who has been featured in many museums nationwide. Other attractions include Northern New Mexico College which offers classes from all fields of study as well as cultural events such as concerts at the college’s performing arts center or lectures at its library; or take a tour of one of two nearby wineries: Corrales Winery & Vineyards or La Chiripada Winery & Vineyards where you can sample some delicious wines produced right here in Espanola.
All these things make Espanola an attractive community for those looking to experience something different than what they may find elsewhere in New Mexico or throughout America at large – it’s a place where you can truly experience a unique blend of cultures while enjoying some great outdoor recreation opportunities too.
Population: 9,688. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,655 (-0.3% change)
Males: 4,728 (48.8%), Females: 4,960 (51.2%)
Zip codes: 87532, 87533.
Median resident age: 33.9 years
Median household income: $27,144
Median house value: $117,800
Races in Espanola:
- Hispanic (84.4%)
- Other race (25.6%)
- White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
- American Indian (3.5%)
- Two or more races (3.3%)
- Black (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (3.3%), English (2.9%), Irish (2.2%), French (1.4%).
Land area: 8.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Espanola
- High school or higher: 74.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 9.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Espanola city
- Never married: 31.6%
- Now married: 46.7%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 12.6%
7.4% Foreign born (6.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -167 (-1.7%).
Hospital/medical center in Espanola:
- ESPANOLA HOSPITAL (1010 SPRUCE STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Espanola:
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; SANTA FE, NM)
- LOS ALAMOS MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; LOS ALAMOS, NM)
- ST VINCENT HOSPITAL (about 39 miles; SANTA FE, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Espanola:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 77 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- SAN LUIS VALLEY REGIONAL/BERGMAN FIELD (about 100 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Abbreviation: ALS)
- DURANGO-LA PLATA COUNTY (about 141 miles; DURANGO, CO; Abbreviation: DRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Espanola:
- SAN JUAN PUEBLO (about 3 miles; ESPANOLA, NM; Abbreviation: Q14)
- LOS ALAMOS (about 17 miles; LOS ALAMOS, NM; Abbreviation: LAM)
- SANTA FE MUNI (about 27 miles; SANTA FE, NM; Abbreviation: SAF)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Espanola:
- NORTHERN NEW MEXICO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 660; Location: 921 PASEO DE ONATE; Public; Website: nnm.cc.nm.us)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Espanola:
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 68 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 74 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 75 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 79 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 103 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 153 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 154 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
Public high school in Espanola:
- ESPANOLA VALLEY HI (Students: 781; Location: 1111 EL LLANO ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Espanola:
- MCCURDY SCHOOL (Students: 399; Location: 261 MCCURDY ROAD; Grades: KG – 12)
- VICTORY CHRISTIAN (Students: 137; Location: PO BOX 540; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Espanola:
- VIGIL MIDDLE (Students: 790; Location: 1260 JOHNNY ROYBAL INDUS; Grades: 08 – 09)
- SALAZAR ELEM (Students: 493; Location: 1000 ZUNI LANE; Grades: KG – 06)
- RODRIQUEZ ELEM (Students: 376; Location: 333 N. CORONADO AVE.; Grades: 01 – 06)
- ESPANOLA MIDDLE (Students: 366; Location: 116 CALLE ESPINOZA; Grades: 07 – 08)
- LOS NINOS CENTER (Students: 191; Location: 323 N. CORONADO AVE.; Grades: PK – KG)
- SANTA CLARA DAY SCHOOL (Students: 121; Location: P.O. BOX 2183; Grades: KG – 06)
- HOMEBOUND/HOSPITAL (Students: 14; Location: 714 CALLE DON DIEGO; Grades: PK – 12)
Private primary/middle school in Espanola:
- THE ROCK ACADEMY (Students: 45; Location: P O DRAWER 2085; Grades: 1 – 11)
Libraries in Espanola:
- ESPANOLA PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $226,987; Location: 314-A ONATE STREET NW; 63,616 books; 936 audio materials; 1,185 video materials; 138 serial subscriptions)
- SANTA CLARA PUEBLO COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $104,931; Location: 1 KEE ST. LOS ALAMOS HWY.; 9,000 books; 165 audio materials; 834 video materials; 94 serial subscriptions)