According to watchtutorials, Emmitsburg, Maryland is a small town located in Frederick County with a population of just under three thousand. It is known for its historical significance and quaint charm. The town was founded in 1785 by German immigrant Michael Emmits, and is home to the National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton.
The town is situated at the foot of the Catoctin Mountain range, providing a picturesque backdrop for visitors and locals alike. Downtown Emmitsburg has been preserved to maintain its historic charm, with many buildings dating back to the 19th century still standing today. The downtown area features many unique shops and restaurants that make it a great place to spend an afternoon or evening.
The most popular attraction in town is the National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, which houses her remains and serves as a pilgrimage site for Catholics from all over the world. The shrine also offers guided tours, prayer services, and other activities that commemorate her life and legacy.
According to ablogtophone, Emmitsburg also boasts numerous outdoor recreational activities such as camping, hiking, biking, fishing and more at nearby Cunningham Falls State Park or Catoctin Mountain Park. The town also hosts events throughout the year such as its annual summer festival which features carnival rides, live music performances from local bands, art displays from local artists, food vendors and more.
The area surrounding Emmitsburg also provides plenty of opportunities for exploration; Frederick County has several wineries offering tastings of their award-winning wines while historic Gettysburg is just down the road – perfect for Civil War buffs looking to explore one of America’s most famous battlefields.
Overall, Emmitsburg is a charming little town with plenty of history to explore along with modern amenities like shopping centers and restaurants that make it an ideal destination for visitors looking to escape into rural America without sacrificing convenience or comfort. Whether you’re looking for an authentic experience or simply want to get away from it all – Emmitsburg has something special in store for everyone who visits this unique Maryland community.
Population: 2,290. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,369 (+3.4% change)
Males: 994 (43.4%), Females: 1,296 (56.6%)
Zip code: 21727
Median resident age: 37.3 years
Median household income: $38,710
Median house value: $104,700
Races in Emmitsburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.8%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Black (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (29.0%), Irish (17.8%), United States (14.0%), English (6.9%), Italian (5.2%), Polish (2.9%).
Elevation: 449 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Emmitsburg
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.3%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Emmitsburg town
- Never married: 33.2%
- Now married: 48.4%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 7.3%
2.2% Foreign born (1.0% Asia, 0.4% Oceania, 0.3% Europe, 0.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +375 (+19.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Emmitsburg:
- GETTYSBURG HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA)
- WAYNESBORO HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; WAYNESBORO, PA)
- FREDERICK MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; FREDERICK, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Emmitsburg:
- HAGERSTOWN REGIONAL-RICHARD A HENSON FLD (about 28 miles; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Abbreviation: HGR)
- HARRISBURG INTERNATIONAL (about 52 miles; HARRISBURG, PA; Abbreviation: MDT)
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 54 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: IAD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Emmitsburg:
- MID ATLANTIC SOARING CENTER (about 4 miles; FAIRFIELD, PA; Abbreviation: W73)
- SOUTHERN ADAMS COUNTY (about 6 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; Abbreviation: P98)
- GETTYSBURG AIRPORT AND TRAVEL CENTER (about 10 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; Abbreviation: W05)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Emmitsburg:
- MOUNT SAINT MARYS COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,635; Location: 16300 OLD EMMITSBURG RD; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.msmary.edu; Offers Master’s degree)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Emmitsburg:
- GETTYSBURG COLLEGE (about 11 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,216)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 20 miles; FREDERICK, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,407)
- WESTERN MARYLAND COLLEGE (about 26 miles; WESTMINSTER, MD; Full-time enrollment: 2,245)
- SHIPPENSBURG UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 28 miles; SHIPPENSBURG, PA; Full-time enrollment: 6,330)
- DICKINSON COLLEGE (about 36 miles; CARLISLE, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,098)
- MESSIAH COLLEGE (about 39 miles; GRANTHAM, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,761)
- SHEPHERD COLLEGE (about 39 miles; Shepherdstown, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,576)
Public primary/middle school in Emmitsburg:
- EMMITSBURG ELEMENTARY (Students: 329; Location: 300 S SETON AVE; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Emmitsburg:
- MOTHER SETON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 400; Location: 100 CREAMERY ROAD; Grades: KG – 8)