According to homethodology.com, Ely, Nevada is a small city located in White Pine County in the east-central part of the state. The population of Ely is approximately 4,000 people and it is the county seat of White Pine County. Ely has a rich history starting with its roots as a mining town during the late 19th century.
The town was first established in 1878 when three prospectors discovered silver ore and named the area after Smith Ely Jr., one of their financial backers. In 1880, the Nevada Central Railroad was built connecting Ely to Austin, Nevada and soon after that, copper mining began in the area. During this time period, Ely became known for its wild west atmosphere with gambling halls and saloons lining the streets.
Today, Ely still retains some of its old-west charm with historic buildings from that era still standing throughout town. There are also several museums in town that showcase the history of Ely and White Pine County including The White Pine Public Museum, The East Ely Railroad Depot Museum, and The Great Basin National Park Visitor Center.
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, the city also boasts some excellent outdoor recreation opportunities due to its proximity to Great Basin National Park which lies just outside of town. This park offers visitors opportunities to explore caves, hike on trails through mountains covered with juniper trees or take part in activities such as camping or fishing at one of the nearby lakes or reservoirs.
Throughout most of the year you can find many festivals taking place throughout town such as 4th of July celebrations or music festivals like Cowboy Poetry & Music Festival which takes place each summer at Cave Lake State Park near Ely. Additionally there are plenty of restaurants where you can find local specialties like Basque food or classic American fare such as burgers and fries. Shopping is also available throughout downtown where you can find souvenirs from your visit to this historic town or pick up supplies for your outdoor adventures nearby.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a small city full of character and charm then look no further than Ely Nevada! With its rich history and scenic landscape it’s no wonder why so many people visit here every year.
Population: 4,041. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,918 (-3.0% change)
Males: 2,003 (49.6%), Females: 2,038 (50.4%)
White Pine County
Zip codes: 89301.
Median resident age: 40.7 years
Median household income: $36,408
Median house value: $71,300
Races in Ely:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.8%)
- Hispanic (12.3%)
- American Indian (4.1%)
- Other race (3.7%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (21.5%), German (14.9%), Irish (8.5%), Italian (6.1%), French (3.9%), Scottish (3.8%).
Elevation: 6427 feet
Land area: 7.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Ely
- High school or higher: 83.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 7.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ely city
- Never married: 23.8%
- Now married: 49.4%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 16.3%
3.4% Foreign born (1.5% Europe, 1.0% Asia, 0.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,317 (-24.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Ely:
- WILLIAM BEE RIRIE HOSPITAL (1500 AVENUE H)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Ely:
- GROVER C DILS MEDICAL CENTER (about 125 miles; CALIENTE, NV)
- NORTHEASTERN NV REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 128 miles; ELKO, NV)
- MILFORD VALLEY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 138 miles; MILFORD, UT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ely:
- ELY ARPT /YELLAND FLD/ (about 4 miles; ELY, NV; Abbreviation: ELY)
- WENDOVER (about 117 miles; WENDOVER, UT; Abbreviation: ENV)
- ELKO REGIONAL (about 125 miles; ELKO, NV; Abbreviation: EKO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ely:
- CURRANT RANCH (about 55 miles; CURRANT, NV; Abbreviation: 9U7)
- DUCKWATER (about 60 miles; DUCKWATER, NV; Abbreviation: 01U)
- EUREKA (about 82 miles; EUREKA, NV; Abbreviation: 05U)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ely:
- SOUTHERN UTAH UNIVERSITY (about 158 miles; CEDAR CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 5,091)
- DIXIE STATE COLLEGE OF UTAH (about 172 miles; ST GEORGE, UT; Full-time enrollment: 4,347)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN NEVADA (about 211 miles; LAS VEGAS, NV; Full-time enrollment: 13,686)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-UTAH CAMPUS (about 227 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,021)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 227 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
- SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 228 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 11,896)
- SNOW COLLEGE (about 229 miles; EPHRAIM, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,632)
Public high schools in Ely:
- WHITE PINE HS (Students: 389; Location: 844 AULTMAN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- STEPTOE VALLEY HS (Students: 21; Location: 700 AULTMAN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- STEPTOE VALLEY ADULT ED (Location: 700 AULTMAN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Ely:
- WHITE PINE MIDSCH (Students: 299; Location: 616 HIGH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Ely:
- WHITE PINE COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $226,523; Location: 950 CAMPTON STREET; 33,825 books; 528 audio materials; 447 video materials; 78 serial subscriptions)