According to IAMACCEPTED, Elko, Nevada is a small city located in the northeastern part of the state. It is the county seat of Elko County and is known as the “Heart of Northeastern Nevada.” The city has a population of just over 20,000 people and has been steadily growing since its founding in 1868.
Located at an elevation of 5,200 feet (1,585 meters) above sea level, Elko is situated along Interstate 80 and U.S. Route 93. Its close proximity to both Reno and Salt Lake City make it an important transportation hub for travelers from both cities. In addition to being a transportation center, Elko also serves as a major mining center for gold and other minerals since it was founded during the Virginia City gold rush era in 1868.
The city’s location makes it an ideal place to enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, camping, fishing and hunting in some of Nevada’s most beautiful landscapes. There are several nearby parks including Ruby Mountains National Recreation Area, Lamoille Canyon National Scenic Byway and Elko County State Park where visitors can take advantage of stunning views and explore nature trails or take part in recreational activities like ATV riding or horseback riding.
According to Ezinesports, Elko also has plenty to offer when it comes to culture and entertainment with its many museums such as Northeastern Nevada Museum which showcases local history from pre-history through modern times as well as numerous art galleries featuring works by local artists that showcase the region’s diverse culture. The city also hosts annual events such as Cowboy Poetry Gathering & Music Festival which celebrates traditional western music and poetry every winter or the Great Basin Round-up Rodeo which features bull riding competitions every summertime.
The economy of Elko is mainly supported by several large industries including tourism, mining, ranching/agriculture/ranching services, manufacturing/industrial services, retail trade/food service sector, professional services/government services sector, healthcare/social assistance sector and education services sector which employ thousands of residents throughout various sectors within the city limits as well as outside it in rural areas throughout Elko County making it one of the most important economic centers in northeastern Nevada.
Overall, Elko offers an excellent quality of life with its unique history combined with its modern amenities making it a great place to live for those looking for both adventure outdoors or cultural experiences within its city limits that are sure to please anyone who visits this wonderful area nestled within northeastern Nevada.
Population: 16,708. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,685 (-0.1% change)
Males: 8,543 (51.1%), Females: 8,165 (48.9%)
Zip codes: 89801, 89803.
Median resident age: 31.6 years
Median household income: $48,608
Median house value: $126,600
Races in Elko:
- White Non-Hispanic (73.3%)
- Hispanic (21.1%)
- Other race (9.6%)
- American Indian (3.6%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (15.9%), Irish (11.2%), English (10.7%), United States (6.1%), Italian (4.1%), French (3.6%).
Elevation: 5067 feet
Land area: 14.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Elko
- High school or higher: 78.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elko city
- Never married: 22.9%
- Now married: 56.7%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 13.8%
12.0% Foreign born (8.8% Latin America, 1.2% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,043 (+6.7%).
Hospital/medical center in Elko:
- NORTHEASTERN NV REGIONAL HOSPITAL (2001 ERRECART BLVD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Elko:
- OWYHEE COMMUNITY HEALTH FACILITY (about 82 miles; OWYHEE, NV)
- BATTLE MOUNTAIN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 95 miles; BATTE MTN, NV)
- WILLIAM BEE RIRIE HOSPITAL (about 122 miles; ELY, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Elko:
- ELKO REGIONAL (about 2 miles; ELKO, NV; Abbreviation: EKO)
- WENDOVER (about 122 miles; WENDOVER, UT; Abbreviation: ENV)
- ELY ARPT /YELLAND FLD/ (about 125 miles; ELY, NV; Abbreviation: ELY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Elko:
- STEVENS-CROSBY (about 46 miles; NORTH FORK, NV; Abbreviation: 08U)
- WELLS MUNICIPAL/HARRIET FIELD (about 62 miles; WELLS, NV; Abbreviation: LWL)
- CRESCENT VALLEY (about 62 miles; CRESCENT VALLEY, NV; Abbreviation: U74)
ELKO (12TH & SHARP STS.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Elko:
- GREAT BASIN COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,570; Location: 1500 COLLEGE PKY; Public; Website: www.gbcnv.edu)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elko:
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 147 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
- BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 184 miles; BOISE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 12,033)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-RENO (about 266 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 10,375)
- WEBER STATE UNIVERSITY (about 266 miles; OGDEN, UT; Full-time enrollment: 12,112)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-UTAH CAMPUS (about 267 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,021)
- SALT LAKE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 268 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 11,896)
- IDAHO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 269 miles; POCATELLO, ID; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
Public high schools in Elko:
- ELKO HS (Students: 1,217; Location: 987 COLLEGE AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- SPRING CREEK HS (Students: 857; Location: 14550 LAMOILLE HIGHWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- INDEPENDENCE HS (Location: 100 YOUTH CENTER ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Elko:
- RUBY MOUNTAIN CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 66; Location: 475 S DIAMONDBACK DRIVE; Grades: KG – 12)
- GRACE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 33; Location: 3030 N 5TH ST; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Elko:
- ELKO JHS (Students: 735; Location: 777 COUNTRY CLUB DRIVE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW ELEM (Students: 689; Location: 3300 ARGENT AVENUE; Grades: KG – 06)
- SPRING CREEK MIDSCH (Students: 688; Location: 14650 LAMOILLE HIGHWAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SOUTHSIDE ELEM (Students: 658; Location: 501 LAMOILLE ROAD; Grades: KG – 06)
- SPRING CREEK ELEM (Students: 645; Location: 7 EAST SPRING CREEK PARKWAY; Grades: KG – 05)
- NORTHSIDE ELEM (Students: 603; Location: 1645 SEWELL DRIVE; Grades: PK – 06)
- SAGE ELEM (Students: 494; Location: 711 BOYD; Grades: KG – 05)
- ELKO GRAMMAR #2 (Students: 414; Location: 7TH AND FIR STREETS; Grades: KG – 06)
- MOUND VALLEY ELEM (Students: 14; Location: 501 LAMOILLE ROAD; Grades: KG – 07)
- PETAN RANCH SCHOOL (Students: 9; Location: PETAN RANCH; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Elko:
- ELKO COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $1,380,971; Location: 720 COURT STREET; 160,000 books; 1,592 audio materials; 1,356 video materials; 140 serial subscriptions)