According to Whicheverhealth, Elkmont, Alabama is a small town located in Limestone County. With a population of just over 500 people, it has been referred to as a “sleepy little town” by its residents.
The town was founded in 1894 by the Elkmont Land and Improvement Company and was named after the nearby Elk River. The company purchased land from the local Indian tribes in order to build a railroad line connecting the city to Huntsville, Alabama. The railroad line was completed in 1896 and provided an economic boost to the area that helped spur development of the town.
Elkmont is known for its agricultural heritage, particularly its dairy farms which were once very prominent in the area. In fact, one of the first businesses established in Elkmont was a creamery which served as a hub for dairy farmers to sell their products. Today there are still several working farms located near Elkmont that specialize in cattle and poultry production as well as hay production.
The town also has some unique attractions that draw visitors from far and wide including several historical sites such as an old grist mill, an old country store, and several antebellum homes from the 1800s. There is also an annual festival held every year called “Old Time Days” which celebrates Elkmont’s history with bluegrass music, food vendors, artisans, antique vendors and more!
According to IAMACCEPTED, Elkmont is also home to several parks including Rock Creek Park which offers camping facilities along with trails for horseback riding or hiking; Joe Wheeler State Park which offers beautiful lake views for fishing or boating; and Murphree Wildlife Management Area which provides great opportunities for hunting and bird watching.
Overall Elkmont is an idyllic small-town community with plenty of charm that makes it a great place to live or visit! Whether you are looking for outdoor recreation or just want to take it easy while exploring some of its unique attractions, Elkmont has something for everyone.
Population: 470. Estimated population in July 2020: 493 (+4.9% change)
Males: 232 (49.4%), Females: 238 (50.6%)
Zip code: 35620
Median resident age: 35.2 years
Median household income: $31,771
Median house value: $85,600
Races in Elkmont:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.2%)
- Black (15.1%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Other race (1.1%)
Ancestries: United States (23.0%), English (7.9%), Irish (4.9%), Scottish (3.2%), German (3.0%), Scotch-Irish (3.0%).
Elevation: 808 feet
Land area: 1.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Elkmont
- High school or higher: 67.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.3%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Elkmont town
- Never married: 19.0%
- Now married: 60.3%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 11.6%
- Divorced: 7.7%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +79 (+20.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Elkmont:
- ATHENS-LIMESTONE HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; ATHENS, AL)
- HILLSIDE HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; PULASKI, TN)
- PARKWAY MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; DECATUR, AL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Elkmont:
- HUNTSVILLE INTL-CARL T JONES FIELD (about 26 miles; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Abbreviation: HSV)
- NORTHWEST ALABAMA RGNL (about 46 miles; MUSCLE SHOALS, AL; Abbreviation: MSL)
- SMYRNA (about 81 miles; SMYRNA, TN; Abbreviation: MQY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Elkmont:
- ARDMORE (about 7 miles; ARDMORE, AL; Abbreviation: 1M3)
- ABERNATHY FIELD (about 16 miles; PULASKI, TN; Abbreviation: GZS)
- PRYOR FIELD RGNL (about 20 miles; DECATUR, AL; Abbreviation: DCU)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Elkmont:
- JOHN C CALHOUN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 24 miles; DECATUR, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,547)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IN HUNTSVILLE (about 27 miles; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,795)
- ALABAMA A & M UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; NORMAL, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,886)
- NORTHWEST SHOALS COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MUSCLE SHOALS (about 47 miles; MUSCLE SHOALS, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,669)
- COLUMBIA STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 48 miles; COLUMBIA, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,784)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH ALABAMA (about 51 miles; FLORENCE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 4,770)
- MOTLOW STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; Tullahoma, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,256)
Public primary/middle school in Elkmont:
- ELKMONT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,023; Location: 25630 EVANS AVE.; Grades: KG – 12)