According to IAMACCEPTED, Demarest, New Jersey is a small borough located in Bergen County, New Jersey. It is situated along the Hackensack River, just 12 miles from Manhattan. It is known for its quaint downtown area and its tight-knit community.
Demarest was first established in 1775, when the area was part of Harrington Township. The borough was incorporated in 1894 and named after James Demarest, who owned property in the area. The population of Demarest has remained relatively stable since then, with just over 4,000 people living there as of 2020.
The downtown area of Demarest is quite charming and bustling with activity. There are a variety of restaurants and shops that line the streets, offering anything from Italian cuisine to handmade jewelry. The local library provides a great selection of books and other media for residents to enjoy. There are also several parks located throughout town with walking trails and playgrounds for kids to enjoy during nice weather days.
According to Ezinesports, Demarest is home to some excellent public schools that have been recognized on a national level for their academic achievements. These include Academy Elementary School, Anna Lefkowitz Elementary School and Demarest Middle School which all score highly on standardized tests scores each year. The high school students attend Northern Valley Regional High School at Demarest which offers a wide range of courses including Advanced Placement classes as well as extracurricular activities such as theater, sports teams and music groups.
Demarest has an active community with several events planned throughout the year such as the annual Fall Festival or Fourth of July parade which help bring residents together in celebration or remembrance of something special about their town or country. There are also many churches located throughout town which provide spiritual guidance to those who seek it while also hosting various activities such as youth group meetings or bible studies for members to take part in if they choose to do so.
Overall, Demarest is an idyllic small town that offers its residents a peaceful environment filled with friendly faces and plenty of activities that everyone can enjoy regardless of age or interests! With its close proximity to New York City combined with its safe streets and excellent schools it’s no wonder why so many people choose this charming borough as their home.
Population: 4,845. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,005 (+3.3% change)
Males: 2,376 (49.0%), Females: 2,469 (51.0%)
Median resident age: 41.1 years
Median household income: $103,286
Median house value: $360,300
Races in Demarest:
- White Non-Hispanic (74.6%)
- Korean (10.4%)
- Japanese (3.5%)
- Hispanic (3.4%)
- Chinese (2.6%)
- Asian Indian (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- Filipino (1.1%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
Ancestries: Italian (18.4%), Irish (14.6%), German (10.7%), English (5.9%), United States (5.6%), Russian (4.7%).
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 2.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Demarest
- High school or higher: 94.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 58.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 24.1%
- Unemployed: 3.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Demarest borough
- Never married: 18.0%
- Now married: 72.0%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 3.4%
24.4% Foreign born (17.6% Asia, 4.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +40 (+0.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Demarest:
- ENGLEWOOD HOSPITAL & MED CTR (about 5 miles; ENGLEWOOD, NJ)
- HIGH RIDGE HOUSE (about 6 miles; BRONX, NY)
- ST JOHNS RIVERSIDE HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; YONKERS, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Demarest:
- TETERBORO (about 10 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- LA GUARDIA (about 15 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: LGA)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 18 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Demarest:
- LITTLE FERRY (about 9 miles; LITTLE FERRY, NJ; Abbreviation: 2N7)
- EVERS (about 14 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: 6N6)
- PAN AM METROPORT (about 15 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: 6N4)
Amtrak stations near Demarest:
- 5 miles: YONKERS (FOOT OF DOCK ST. & WELLS AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: NEW ROCHELLE (DEPOT PLAZA NORTH). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: LA GUARDIA AIRPORT (QUEENS, ) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar and vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Demarest:
- MANHATTAN COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BRONX, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,769)
- FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY-ALL CAMPUSES (about 6 miles; TEANECK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,482)
- CUNY LEHMAN COLLEGE (about 8 miles; BRONX, NY; Full-time enrollment: 5,818)
- MONROE COLLEGE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 8 miles; BRONX, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,063)
- YESHIVA UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 5,413)
- MERCY COLLEGE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 8 miles; DOBBS FERRY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,643)
- BERGEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; PARAMUS, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,733)
Public high school in Demarest:
- N VALLEY REG H DEMAREST (Students: 1,113; Location: 150 KNICKERBOCKER RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Demarest:
- ACADEMY OF THE HOLY ANGELS (Students: 522; Location: 315 HILLSIDE AVENUE; Grades: 9 – 12; Girls only)
Public primary/middle schools in Demarest:
- DEMAREST MIDDLE (Students: 343; Location: 568 PIERMONT RD; Grades: 05 – 08)
- LUTHER L EMERSON SCHOOL (Students: 224; Location: 15 COLUMBUS ROAD; Grades: 02 – 04)
- COUNTY ROAD (Students: 151; Location: 130 COUNTY RD; Grades: KG – KG)
Private primary/middle school in Demarest:
- ST JOSEPH SACRED HEART SCHOOL (Students: 188; Location: 573 PIERMONT ROAD; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Demarest:
- DEMAREST PUBLIC LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (Operating income: $161,872; Location: 90 HARDENBURGH AVENUE; 28,963 books; 1,498 audio materials; 670 video materials; 45 serial subscriptions)