According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Curwensville, Pennsylvania is a small borough located in Clearfield County. It is situated on the banks of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River and is home to approximately 2,000 people. The town was originally known as Curwenville after Jacob Curwen, who purchased the land from the Iroquois Indians in 1786.
The area was first settled in 1818 and was officially incorporated as a borough in 1851. Many of the original settlers were of German or Irish descent and they built homes, businesses, churches and schools. In 1876, a railroad line was constructed through Curwensville which connected it to cities like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. This provided an important link to markets for local farmers who grew tobacco, potatoes, corn and wheat on their farms.
Today, Curwensville is still primarily an agricultural community with many family-owned farms dotting the landscape. The town also boasts two main industries – coal mining and natural gas drilling – which provide jobs for many locals.
According to Topbbacolleges, Curwensville offers a variety of recreational activities including fishing at nearby lakes or rivers, hunting in nearby state forests or parks and hiking or biking on trails that run throughout the area. Residents can also enjoy swimming at one of two public pools in town or playing golf at one of several courses located within a short drive away.
The town has several churches including Baptist, Methodist Episcopal and Lutheran congregations as well as several Catholic parishes located within its borders. There are also two elementary schools that serve students from kindergarten through fifth grade with sixth through twelfth graders attending nearby Clearfield Area High School.
Curwensville has seen some growth over recent years with new businesses opening up such as restaurants, shops and medical offices to meet the needs of its growing population but it retains its small-town charm by hosting events like summer concerts in Memorial Park and holiday parades down Main Street each year. Residents take pride in their community by supporting local organizations like volunteer fire departments or little league teams which help keep this close-knit community strong for generations to come.
Population: 2,650. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,540 (-4.2% change)
Males: 1,194 (45.1%), Females: 1,456 (54.9%)
Zip code: 16833
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $27,281
Median house value: $62,400
Races in Curwensville:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.9%)
Ancestries: United States (20.8%), German (17.4%), Irish (10.6%), English (9.8%), Italian (5.6%), Dutch (5.0%).
Elevation: 1161 feet
Land area: 2.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Curwensville
- High school or higher: 84.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Curwensville borough
- Never married: 23.6%
- Now married: 51.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 11.1%
- Divorced: 12.7%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -276 (-9.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Curwensville:
- CLEARFIELD HOSP (about 7 miles; CLEARFIELD, PA)
- DUBOIS REGNL MED CNTR (about 19 miles; DUBOIS, PA)
- PHILIPSBURG AREA HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; PHILIPSBURG, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Curwensville:
- DU BOIS-JEFFERSON COUNTY (about 29 miles; DU BOIS, PA; Abbreviation: DUJ)
- UNIVERSITY PARK (about 49 miles; STATE COLLEGE, PA; Abbreviation: UNV)
- ALTOONA-BLAIR COUNTY (about 50 miles; ALTOONA, PA; Abbreviation: AOO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Curwensville:
- CLEARFIELD-LAWRENCE (about 10 miles; CLEARFIELD, PA; Abbreviation: FIG)
- ALBERT (about 20 miles; PHILIPSBURG, PA; Abbreviation: 1N3)
- PUNXSUTAWNEY MUNI (about 28 miles; PUNXSUTAWNEY, PA; Abbreviation: N35)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Curwensville:
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE ALTOONA (about 32 miles; ALTOONA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,516)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 48 miles; UNIVERSITY PARK, PA; Full-time enrollment: 38,248)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 48 miles; INDIANA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 12,307)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-JOHNSTOWN (about 53 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,851)
- CLARION UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 61 miles; CLARION, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,690)
- LOCK HAVEN UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 77 miles; LOCK HAVEN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,738)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 89 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
Public high school in Curwensville:
- CURWENSVILLE AREA JSHS (Students: 648; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Curwensville:
- CURWENSVILLE AREA EL SCH (Students: 566; Grades: KG – 06)
Library in Curwensville:
- CLEARFIELD COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $310,671; Location: 601 BEECH ST; 100,555 books; 180 audio materials; 122 video materials; 168 serial subscriptions)