According to electronicsmatter, Cowen, West Virginia is a small, unincorporated community located in Webster County, West Virginia. It is situated along the South Branch of the Potomac River and is bordered by the states of Maryland and Virginia. The population of Cowen was estimated to be just over 200 people as of 2020.
The history of Cowen dates back to the early 1800s when it was first established as a trading post for local Native American tribes. It quickly became a popular stopover for settlers heading westward and by 1835, it was officially incorporated as a town. In addition to being an important trading post, Cowen also served as an important stop on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line which ran through the town from 1872 until 1952.
Today, Cowen remains a small rural community with few amenities or services available to residents. Despite its rural nature, Cowen has managed to maintain its sense of community due to its close proximity to larger towns such as Webster Springs and Richwood. The town is home to several churches, including St Paul’s Episcopal Church which was built in 1891 and has been running ever since.
According to fun-wiki, Cowen’s economy primarily revolves around agriculture; there are several farms located in the area that raise livestock and grow crops such as corn and soybeans. In addition, logging is also popular in the region due to its abundance of timber resources. There are also some small businesses located in town that offer services such as auto repair shops and convenience stores.
The area surrounding Cowen offers plenty of outdoor activities for visitors including hiking trails at Camp Creek State Park or kayaking down the South Branch River or exploring historic sites like Fort Seybert which was built during the French & Indian War in 1758. There are also several golf courses nearby where visitors can enjoy a round or two before heading back into town for dinner at one of its local restaurants like The Old Mill Cafe or The Country Corner Inn & Grill where they serve up delicious home-style cooking with all-American favorites like burgers and fries!
Overall, Cowen is a great place for those looking for peace and quiet away from city life while still having access to all sorts of outdoor activities nearby! With its close-knit community feel and abundance of natural beauty surrounding it, this small West Virginia town offers something special that can’t be found anywhere else.
Population: 513. Estimated population in July 2020: 506 (-1.4% change)
Males: 244 (47.6%), Females: 269 (52.4%)
Zip code: 26206
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $21,250
Median house value: $48,200
Races in Cowen:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.2%)
Ancestries: United States (38.0%), German (6.8%), Irish (5.7%), Scotch-Irish (5.3%), English (3.5%), Dutch (1.9%).
Elevation: 2322 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Cowen
- High school or higher: 68.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 15.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cowen town
- Never married: 22.7%
- Now married: 56.8%
- Separated: 0.2%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 13.0%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -34 (-6.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Cowen:
- RICHWOOD AREA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; RICHWOOD, WV)
- WEBSTER COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; WEBSTER SPRINGS, WV)
- SUMMERSVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; SUMMERSVILLE, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Cowen:
- GREENBRIER VALLEY (about 41 miles; LEWISBURG, WV; Abbreviation: LWB)
- RALEIGH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 58 miles; BECKLEY, WV; Abbreviation: BKW)
- HARRISON/MARION REGIONAL (about 65 miles; CLARKSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: CKB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Cowen:
- RICHWOOD MUNI (about 13 miles; RICHWOOD, WV; Abbreviation: 3I4)
- BRAXTON COUNTY (about 20 miles; SUTTON, WV; Abbreviation: 48I)
- SUMMERSVILLE (about 26 miles; SUMMERSVILLE, WV; Abbreviation: SXL)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cowen:
- WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE (about 71 miles; INSTITUTE, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,688)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 73 miles; ATHENS, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,723)
- FAIRMONT STATE COLLEGE (about 79 miles; FAIRMONT, WV; Full-time enrollment: 5,317)
- NATIONAL BUSINESS COLLEGE (about 84 miles; SALEM, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,382)
- VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIV (about 86 miles; BLACKSBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 25,754)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 86 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,063)
- RADFORD UNIVERSITY (about 88 miles; RADFORD, VA; Full-time enrollment: 8,034)
Public primary/middle schools in Cowen:
- GLADE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 342; Location: ONE PARK ST; Grades: PK – 04)
- GLADE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 275; Location: ONE PARK STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)
Library in Cowen:
- COWEN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $59,308; Location: MILL STREET; 18,390 books; 7 audio materials; 60 video materials)