According to ablogtophone, Colonia, New Jersey is a small suburban town located in Middlesex County. The town was first established in the early 20th century and has since become a popular residential area for commuters. Colonia is known for its strong sense of community and family-friendly atmosphere.
The town is home to approximately 8,000 residents, who enjoy a variety of recreational activities available throughout the year. Residents can visit a number of parks such as Colonia Park and Memorial Field which offer sports fields, playgrounds and nature trails. The local library also provides a great resource for those looking to further their education or just relax with a good book.
The town also offers plenty of shopping options for residents. Downtown Colonia features several stores that cater to all kinds of needs including clothing stores, restaurants and grocery stores. There are also several malls located nearby which include Woodbridge Center Mall, Menlo Park Mall and Brunswick Square Mall.
According to beautyphoon, residents have access to various public transportation services including NJ Transit buses which travel throughout the county as well as the Metropark Station which provides direct service into New York City via Amtrak or New Jersey Transit trains.
When it comes to education, residents can choose from several schools within the district including three elementary schools, two middle schools and one high school – Colonia High School – which offers an array of advanced courses such as AP classes as well as college preparatory classes for those looking to further their education beyond high school graduation.
Colonia is considered an ideal place to live due to its close proximity to major cities such as New York City and Philadelphia while still offering a small-town feel with plenty of green space for outdoor activities without sacrificing convenience or culture. With its many amenities, attractive housing options and strong sense of community spirit it’s no wonder why so many people choose Colonia as their home away from home.
Males: 8,581 (48.2%), Females: 9,230 (51.8%)
Median resident age: 40.0 years
Median household income: $67,372
Median house value: $180,800
Races in Colonia:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.6%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- Black (4.8%)
- Asian Indian (2.6%)
- Filipino (1.9%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Chinese (0.9%)
Ancestries: Italian (24.6%), Irish (20.0%), Polish (14.7%), German (14.4%), English (3.9%), Portuguese (3.9%).
Elevation: 60 feet
Land area: 3.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Colonia
- High school or higher: 86.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.0%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Colonia CDP
- Never married: 22.1%
- Now married: 62.5%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 6.0%
15.1% Foreign born (7.1% Europe, 5.5% Asia, 2.1% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Colonia:
- RAHWAY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; RAHWAY, NJ)
- TRINITAS HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; ELIZABETH, NJ)
- MUHLENBERG REGIONAL MED CTR (about 6 miles; PLAINFIELD, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Colonia:
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 13 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 23 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
- TETERBORO (about 26 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Colonia:
- LINDEN (about 6 miles; LINDEN, NJ; Abbreviation: LDJ)
- MORRISTOWN MUNI (about 15 miles; MORRISTOWN, NJ; Abbreviation: MMU)
- NEWARK NR 1 (about 15 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: 3N4)
Amtrak stations near Colonia:
- 2 miles: METROPARK (ISELIN, 100 MIDDLESEX-ESSEX TPK.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 11 miles: NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (NEWARK, ). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
- 12 miles: NEW BRUNSWICK (FRENCH & ALBANY STS.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Colonia:
- UNION COUNTY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; CRANFORD, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,856)
- KEAN UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; UNION, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- SETON HALL UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; SOUTH ORANGE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,509)
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEW BRUNSWICK (about 12 miles; NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 30,649)
- CUNY COLLEGE OF STATEN ISLAND (about 12 miles; STATEN ISLAND, NY; Full-time enrollment: 8,135)
- MIDDLESEX COUNTY COLLEGE (about 14 miles; EDISON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,739)
- DREW UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; MADISON, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 2,133)
Public high school in Colonia:
- COLONIA HIGH (Students: 1,364; Location: EAST STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Colonia:
- COLONIA MIDDLE (Students: 672; Location: DELAWARE AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- LYNN CREST (Students: 453; Location: NEW DOVER ROAD; Grades: KG – 05)
- OAK RIDGE HEIGHTS (Students: 355; Location: INMAN AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- CLAREMONT AVENUE (Students: 351; Location: CLAREMONT AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- PENNSYLVANIA AVE SCHOOL (Students: 285; Location: PENNSYLVANIA AVENU; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Colonia:
- ST JOHN VIANNEY ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 830; Location: 420 INMAN AVENUE; Grades: PK – 8)