According to Whicheverhealth, Central City is a small borough located in western Pennsylvania, in the southwestern corner of Somerset County. It is situated at the confluence of two rivers, the Casselman and the Youghiogheny. The population was 1,475 at the 2010 census.
Central City is a rural community that has experienced some economic growth in recent years thanks to its proximity to I-68, which runs through town. The town is also home to a variety of businesses and services, including a grocery store, several restaurants, banks and other financial institutions, an auto repair shop, and several small shops.
Central City has a long history that dates back to its founding in 1835. It was originally named after Centralia, Pennsylvania—a nearby town that had become known for its coal mining industry during the 19th century—but changed its name in 1872 when it was officially incorporated as Central City Borough. At this time it also became part of Somerset County.
During its early years, Central City was primarily an agricultural community with many farms in the area growing corn and hay for livestock feed as well as tobacco for export. The town also served as an important stop on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad from 1871 until 1960 when passenger service was discontinued due to declining ridership.
According to Ezinesports, the main industry in Central City today is tourism; visitors come from near and far to see attractions like Big Savage Mountain State Park (which offers camping opportunities), Ohiopyle State Park (which features white-water rafting), and Fallingwater (the iconic Frank Lloyd Wright house). There are also numerous historical sites such as Fort Necessity National Battlefield Site (the site of George Washington’s first military defeat) and Christian Wissler’s Grist Mill (built in 1793).
Central City is home to several annual events such as Summerfest (an outdoor music festival held each July) and Oktoberfest (a celebration of German culture held each October). There are also plenty of recreational opportunities available including golf courses, public parks with playgrounds and picnic areas, hiking trails along Big Savage Mountain State Park’s Appalachian Trail section, fishing spots along both rivers running through Central City—the Casselman River and Youghiogheny River—and more.
Overall Central City is an ideal destination for those looking for outdoor recreation or those just looking for a quiet place to relax away from the hustle and bustle of city life. With its rich history steeped in agriculture and transportation history combined with modern amenities like restaurants and shops plus plenty of attractions nearby—Central City has something for everyone.
Population: 1,258. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,195 (-5.0% change)
Males: 596 (47.4%), Females: 662 (52.6%)
Zip code: 15926
Median resident age: 42.0 years
Median household income: $26,581
Median house value: $48,100
Races in Central City:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.4%)
Ancestries: German (21.1%), Polish (13.8%), Slovak (11.5%), Hungarian (7.2%), Irish (6.3%), United States (5.5%).
Land area: 0.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Central City
- High school or higher: 75.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 5.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Central City borough
- Never married: 21.3%
- Now married: 58.8%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 6.3%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +18 (+1.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Central City:
- WINDBER HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; WINDBER, PA)
- CONEMAUGH VALLEY MEM HOSP (about 17 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
- SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL OF JOHNSTOWN (about 17 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Central City:
- JOHN MURTHA JOHNSTOWN-CAMBRIA CO (about 14 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Abbreviation: JST)
- ALTOONA-BLAIR COUNTY (about 36 miles; ALTOONA, PA; Abbreviation: AOO)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 43 miles; LATROBE, PA; Abbreviation: LBE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Central City:
- INDIAN LAKE (about 5 miles; CENTRAL CITY, PA; Abbreviation: 5G2)
- SOMERSET COUNTY (about 15 miles; SOMERSET, PA; Abbreviation: 2G9)
- BEDFORD COUNTY (about 22 miles; BEDFORD, PA; Abbreviation: HMZ)
Amtrak station near Central City:
- 18 miles: JOHNSTOWN (47 WALNUT ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Central City:
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-JOHNSTOWN (about 14 miles; JOHNSTOWN, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,851)
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; FROSTBURG, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,672)
- PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY-PENN STATE ALTOONA (about 40 miles; ALTOONA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,516)
- INDIANA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 43 miles; INDIANA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 12,307)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
- CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 76 miles; CALIFORNIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,183)
- SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY (about 78 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,030)