According to Whicheverhealth, Center, Colorado is a small rural town nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Located in Saguache County, Center has a population of just under 800 and a total area of 1.2 square miles. The town was established in 1871 and is named after its position as the center point of Saguache County.
The town’s main attractions are its beautiful scenery and historical sites. The majestic San Juan Mountains can be seen from many points within Center’s city limits, while the nearby Sangre de Cristo Mountains provide an even more spectacular backdrop. Other natural wonders include the nearby Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve, which is home to some of the tallest sand dunes in North America.
According to IAMACCEPTED, the town also boasts several historical sites, including the Old West-style saloon built by William Mootz in 1880 and several buildings that were part of Fort Garland, a 19th-century military outpost located just outside of town. Visitors can also explore Stonewall Cemetery, where many early pioneers are buried, or visit the local museum to learn more about Center’s history.
Another popular feature of Center is its outdoor recreation opportunities. Fishing enthusiasts can take advantage of the numerous lakes and reservoirs near town while hikers have access to several trails that offer stunning views of both mountains and valleys alike. Bicyclists will find plenty to explore on quiet country roads while off-roaders can check out nearby backcountry roads or venture into nearby national forests for some exciting off-roading adventures.
Center also offers a variety of activities for those who prefer a more relaxed pace, such as shopping at local stores or exploring art galleries downtown. Visitors will also find plenty to do around Christmas time when locals come together for the annual holiday celebration known as Christmas in Center which features caroling sessions, hayrides and other seasonal activities throughout December each year.
Overall, Center is an idyllic mountain town with plenty to offer visitors looking for some peace and quiet or an opportunity to explore nature up close and personal without having to venture too far from home base. With its stunning scenery, rich history and ample outdoor recreation opportunities it’s easy to see why this small Colorado community continues to attract visitors from all over year after year.
Population: 2,392. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,497 (+4.4% change)
Males: 1,191 (49.8%), Females: 1,201 (50.2%)
Zip code: 81125
Median resident age: 27.9 years
Median household income: $23,780
Median house value: $55,800
Races in Center:
- Hispanic (86.1%)
- Other race (47.8%)
- White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
- American Indian (3.1%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (3.6%), German (2.2%), Irish (1.2%).
Elevation: 7645 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Center
- High school or higher: 41.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 8.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Center town
- Never married: 26.5%
- Now married: 54.0%
- Separated: 4.0%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 8.4%
28.8% Foreign born (28.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +435 (+22.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Center:
- RIO GRANDE HOSPITAL – CAH (about 20 miles; DEL NORTE, CO)
- SAN LUIS VALLEY REGIONAL MED CTR (about 28 miles; ALAMOSA, CO)
- CONEJOS COUNTY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 34 miles; LA JARA, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Center:
- SAN LUIS VALLEY REGIONAL/BERGMAN FIELD (about 29 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Abbreviation: ALS)
- GUNNISON-CRESTED BUTTE REGIONAL (about 78 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Abbreviation: GUC)
- ASPEN-PITKIN CO/SARDY FIELD (about 114 miles; ASPEN, CO; Abbreviation: ASE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Center:
- LEACH (about 6 miles; CENTER, CO; Abbreviation: 1V8)
- DEL NORTE MUNI & CO (about 17 miles; DEL NORTE, CO; Abbreviation: 8V1)
- MONTE VISTA MUNI (about 18 miles; MONTE VISTA, CO; Abbreviation: MVI)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Center:
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 25 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 87 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,199)
- PUEBLO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 107 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT COLORADO SPRINGS (about 112 miles; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,953)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN COLORADO (about 113 miles; PUEBLO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,275)
- PIKES PEAK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 114 miles; COLORADO SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 5,307)
- UNITED STATES AIR FORCE ACADEMY (about 123 miles; USAFA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,330)
Public high schools in Center:
- CENTER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 191; Location: 500 SOUTH BROADWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- THE ACADEMIC RECOVERY CENTER OF SAN LUIS VALLEY (Students: 20; Location: 500 SOUTH BROADWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Center:
- HASKIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 313; Location: 500 SOUTH BROADWAY; Grades: PK – 05)
- SKOGLUND MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 176; Location: 500 SOUTH BROADWAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Center:
- HIGH VALLEY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 19; Location: 45461 CO RD F P O BOX 905; Grades: 1 – 8)