According to Health-beauty-guides, Cecil, Pennsylvania is a small, rural town located in Washington County. The population of Cecil was 1,731 as of the 2010 census. It is situated near the Ohio border and is part of the Pittsburgh Metropolitan Area.
The town was founded in 1878 by Peter Cecil, a German settler who purchased land from a local Native American tribe. The town was initially called “Cecil Station,” and it served as a stop on the railroad line connecting Pittsburgh to Cleveland. By 1885, Cecil had its own post office, and several businesses opened up in town.
The town’s main industry is farming. It has several large farms that produce corn, hay, wheat, oats and vegetables for local consumption and for sale at markets around the area. There are also several small businesses in Cecil including restaurants, shops and service providers like banks and insurance companies.
The community is known for its strong sense of community spirit and volunteerism. For example, there are numerous organizations such as the Lions Club International that help to support local causes such as education or health care initiatives. Additionally, there are many churches in Cecil that serve as gathering places for religious services as well as community events like potlucks or craft fairs.
According to ablogtophone, Cecil also has one elementary school (Cecil Elementary School) that serves students from kindergarten through sixth grade. There are also two private schools: St Mary’s Catholic School and Trinity Lutheran School which offer K-12 options for students with different religious backgrounds or educational needs than public schools can provide.
In addition to its educational opportunities, Cecil offers plenty of outdoor activities like hiking trails at Mingo Creek Park or fishing at Cross Creek Lake Park where residents can enjoy some peace and quiet away from city life while still being close enough to enjoy all the amenities Pittsburgh has to offer just an hour away by car or train ride away!
Overall Cecil is a great place to live if you’re looking for a quiet small-town lifestyle with access to all the amenities offered by larger cities nearby! With its strong sense of community spirit coupled with plenty of outdoor activities available year round you’ll be sure to find something here that suits your needs.
Males: 1,289 (49.9%), Females: 1,296 (50.1%)
Zip code: 15321
Median resident age: 38.4 years
Median household income: $50,607
Median house value: $128,200
Races in Cecil-Bishop:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.2%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (29.2%), Italian (20.1%), Irish (17.9%), Polish (14.0%), English (11.2%), French (8.9%).
Land area: 2.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Cecil-Bishop
- High school or higher: 92.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.0%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cecil-Bishop CDP
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 66.8%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 4.5%
1.4% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Cecil-Bishop:
- CANONSBURG GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; CANONSBURG, PA)
- MAYVIEW STATE HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; BRIDGEVILLE, PA)
- KINDRED HOSPITAL – PITTSBURGH (about 7 miles; OAKDALE, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Cecil-Bishop:
- PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL (about 12 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: PIT)
- ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 20 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: AGC)
- MORGANTOWN MUNI-WALTER L. BILL HART FLD (about 52 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Abbreviation: MGW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Cecil-Bishop:
- WASHINGTON COUNTY (about 15 miles; WASHINGTON, PA; Abbreviation: AFJ)
- FINLEYVILLE AIRPARK (about 15 miles; FINLEYVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: G05)
- BANDEL (about 16 miles; EIGHTY FOUR, PA; Abbreviation: 22D)
Amtrak station near Cecil-Bishop:
- 17 miles: PITTSBURGH (1100 LIBERTY AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, ATM, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cecil-Bishop:
- ROBERT MORRIS COLLEGE (about 13 miles; MOON TOWNSHIP, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,426)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-MAIN CAMPUS (about 14 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 22,930)
- DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,199)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 15 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 9,058)
- POINT PARK COLLEGE (about 17 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- ART INSTITUTE PITTSBURGH (about 17 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,246)
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 7,903)