According to homethodology.com, Carlisle, Kentucky is a small city in Nicholas County, situated near the border of Kentucky and Ohio. It is known as the “Gateway to the West” due to its proximity to the Ohio River and its role in the settlement of early Kentucky settlers. The city has a population of roughly 2,600 people and has been around since 1820.
The town was founded by John Carlisle, an early settler from Pennsylvania who arrived in 1796 and eventually built a mill that powered the local economy. He also established a ferry crossing over the Licking River that connected Carlisle with Cincinnati. The town has since grown and flourished, becoming a popular destination for travelers and tourists alike.
One of Carlisle’s main attractions is its historic downtown area, which features several antique stores, restaurants, and shops that all harken back to its rich history. The downtown area also includes several historic buildings such as the Carlisle House Museum, which is home to artifacts from early settlers like John Carlisle himself. Other points of interest include two public parks – Central Park and Jackson Square – as well as an outdoor amphitheater where live music can be heard throughout summer months.
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Carlisle’s economy revolves mainly around agriculture and tourism. The town is home to several farms that produce corn, wheat, tobacco, soybeans, cattle, horses, sheep and hogs for sale throughout the region. Additionally there are several wineries in town that create various wines made from locally grown grapes.
For those looking for outdoor activities in Carlisle there are plenty of options available such as hiking trails at nearby Camp Springs State Park or visiting one of many nearby lakes where fishing can be enjoyed year-round. There are also plenty of opportunities for hunting wild game such as deer or turkey during certain seasons throughout the year.
Carlisle is a great place to visit if you’re looking for an escape from everyday life while still getting to experience some wonderful historical landmarks along with plenty of outdoor adventures.
Population: 1,917. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,030 (+5.9% change)
Males: 863 (45.0%), Females: 1,054 (55.0%)
Zip code: 40311
Median resident age: 43.2 years
Median household income: $29,199
Median house value: $64,300
Races in Carlisle:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Black (2.2%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (29.6%), Irish (10.3%), English (9.3%), German (6.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%), Dutch (1.7%).
Elevation: 879 feet
Land area: 1.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Carlisle
- High school or higher: 65.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Carlisle city
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 50.7%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 13.2%
- Divorced: 13.0%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +214 (+12.6%).
Hospital/medical center in Carlisle:
- NICHOLAS COUNTY HOSPITAL (2323 CONCRETE ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Carlisle:
- BOURBON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; PARIS, KY)
- MARY CHILES HOSP (about 19 miles; MOUNT STERLING, KY)
- HARRISON MEMORIAL HOSP (about 19 miles; CYNTHIANA, KY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Carlisle:
- BLUE GRASS (about 44 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Abbreviation: LEX)
- CINCINNATI MUNI AIRPORT LUNKEN FIELD (about 61 miles; CINCINNATI, OH; Abbreviation: LUK)
- CINCINNATI/NORTHERN KENTUCKY INTERNATIONAL (about 66 miles; COVINGTON/CINCINNATI, OH, KY; Abbreviation: CVG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Carlisle:
- CYNTHIANA-HARRISON COUNTY (about 18 miles; CYNTHIANA, KY; Abbreviation: 0I8)
- MOUNT STERLING-MONTGOMERY COUNTY (about 19 miles; MOUNT STERLING, KY; Abbreviation: IOB)
- FLEMING-MASON (about 26 miles; FLEMINGSBURG, KY; Abbreviation: FGX)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Carlisle:
- UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY (about 39 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 20,492)
- LEXINGTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 39 miles; LEXINGTON, KY; Full-time enrollment: 5,437)
- MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; MOREHEAD, KY; Full-time enrollment: 6,866)
- EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; RICHMOND, KY; Full-time enrollment: 11,214)
- NORTHERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; HIGHLAND HEIGHTS, KY; Full-time enrollment: 9,668)
- XAVIER UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; CINCINNATI, OH; Full-time enrollment: 4,977)
- UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI-RAYMOND WALTERS COLLEGE (about 67 miles; BLUE ASH, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,266)
Public high school in Carlisle:
- NICHOLAS COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 333; Location: 103 SCHOOL DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Carlisle:
- NICHOLAS COUNTY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 815; Location: 316 SCHOOL DRIVE; Grades: KG – 08)
Library in Carlisle:
- NICHOLAS COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $86,599; Location: 223 NORTH BROADWAY STREET; 18,672 books; 335 audio materials; 29 serial subscriptions)