According to foodezine, Caribou, Maine is a small town nestled in the far northern part of the state. It has a population of approximately 8,000 people and is located near the Canadian border. The town is known for its beautiful scenery and outdoor activities.
In the summer months, visitors can enjoy hiking, camping, fishing, kayaking, and canoeing. Numerous lakes and rivers surround the area, providing plenty of opportunities for water-related activities. The nearby Aroostook State Park is also popular among those looking to spend time in nature.
In addition to its outdoor attractions, Caribou also boasts a vibrant cultural scene. The downtown area features several independent shops and restaurants that offer unique items and delicious meals. Every summer, the city hosts an annual celebration called “Caribou Days” which includes events like parades, live music performances, vendors selling local wares, carnival rides and more.
The city has an impressive education system with several elementary schools as well as Caribou High School which serves students from grades 9-12. There are also several post-secondary educational institutions nearby including Northern Maine Community College which offers degrees in many different fields including business administration and nursing.
The city has a strong economy with many residents employed in various industries such as manufacturing and retail stores as well as government offices located in the area. It is also home to two major hospitals – Cary Medical Center and Northern Maine Medical Center – which provide healthcare services for local residents as well as visitors from surrounding areas.
According to Ezinesports, Caribou may be small but it has plenty to offer visitors who are looking for an enjoyable getaway or a place to call home! With its scenic beauty combined with great educational opportunities and a strong economy it truly offers something for everyone.
Population: 8,312. Estimated population in July 2020: 8,308 (-0.0% change)
Males: 4,009 (48.2%), Females: 4,303 (51.8%)
Median resident age: 40.8 years
Median household income: $29,485
Median house value: $61,700
Races in Caribou:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.0%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: French (30.5%), English (16.4%), Irish (12.1%), French Canadian (11.9%), United States (9.4%), Swedish (3.8%).
Elevation: 442 feet
Land area: 79.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Caribou
- High school or higher: 75.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Caribou city
- Never married: 20.6%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 9.6%
- Divorced: 10.6%
4.2% Foreign born (3.1% North America, 0.8% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,124 (-11.9%).
Hospital/medical center in Caribou:
- CARY MEDICAL CENTER (163 VAN BUREN RD, SUITE 1)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Caribou:
- AROOSTOOK MEDICAL CENTER,THE (about 13 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME)
- NORTHERN MAINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 47 miles; FORT KENT, ME)
- HOULTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 52 miles; HOULTON, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Caribou:
- NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL ARPT AT PRESQUE IS (about 13 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Abbreviation: PQI)
- BANGOR INTL (about 153 miles; BANGOR, ME; Abbreviation: BGR)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 245 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
Other public-use airports nearest to Caribou:
- CARIBOU MUNI (about 2 miles; CARIBOU, ME; Abbreviation: CAR)
- NORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL (about 12 miles; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Abbreviation: 83B)
- VAN BUREN (about 21 miles; VAN BUREN, ME; Abbreviation: 05B)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Caribou:
- PIERRES SCHOOL OF COSMETOLOGY (Full-time enrollment: 89; Location: 30 Sky Way Plaza; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Caribou:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 136 miles; ORONO, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 211 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 212 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 270 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 278 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 289 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 329 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
Public high schools in Caribou:
- CARIBOU HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 581; Location: 308 SWEDEN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CARIBOU LEARNING CENTER (Students: 14; Location: 75 BENNETT DRIVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CARIBOU REG APPLIED TECH CTR (Location: 308 SWEDEN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Caribou:
- CARIBOU MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 455; Location: 21 GLENN STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)
- HILLTOP ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 306; Location: 19 MARSHALL AVENUE; Grades: KG – 02)
- TEAGUE PARK SCHOOL (Students: 285; Location: 59 GLENN STREET; Grades: KG – 04)
Library in Caribou:
- CARIBOU PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $200,353; Location: 30 HIGH STREET; 38,830 books; 840 audio materials; 1,270 video materials; 105 serial subscriptions)