According to growtheology, Carbondale, Colorado is a small mountain town situated in the Roaring Fork Valley of the Rocky Mountains. It is located just south of Glenwood Springs, about an hour and a half from Denver. The town has a population of about 6,500 people and is known for its incredible outdoor recreation opportunities and vibrant arts scene.
The Roaring Fork Valley provides the backdrop to Carbondale’s outdoor recreation offerings. The area is home to some of the best hiking, biking, camping, fishing, rafting and kayaking in Colorado. The nearby White River National Forest boasts miles of trails that take you through lush meadows, aspen groves and high-altitude alpine lakes. Carbondale also has several mountain biking trails suitable for all levels of riders. For those looking for more leisurely activities, there are plenty of public parks with playgrounds and picnic areas to enjoy during the summer months.
The arts are alive in Carbondale as well! In addition to its many art galleries that showcase local artists’ work, Carbondale also hosts an annual ArtWalk where visitors can explore downtown shops and galleries while enjoying music performances from local bands. The town also has several theaters that host plays throughout the year. And don’t forget about the food! Carbondale has some of Colorado’s best restaurants featuring everything from craft beer pubs to farm-to-table eateries serving up fresh local ingredients.
According to homethodology.com, Carbondale is also home to Colorado Mountain College which offers two-year degrees as well as four-year bachelor’s programs in business administration and environmental studies. The town also offers a variety of other educational resources such as libraries and museums that host events such as lectures on art history or nature walks with experts on local flora and fauna.
Overall, Carbondale is an idyllic mountain town with plenty to offer residents and visitors alike! With its stunning natural beauty combined with its vibrant arts scene and excellent recreational opportunities it really does have something for everyone who visits it.
Population: 5,196. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,825 (+12.1% change)
Males: 2,723 (52.4%), Females: 2,473 (47.6%)
Zip code: 81623
Median resident age: 30.9 years
Median household income: $52,429
Median house value: $237,700
Races in Carbondale:
- White Non-Hispanic (65.8%)
- Hispanic (32.1%)
- Other race (11.8%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (18.1%), Irish (12.2%), English (11.8%), Italian (4.8%), Norwegian (4.6%), United States (4.2%).
Elevation: 6170 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Carbondale
- High school or higher: 80.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 27.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.0%
- Unemployed: 1.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Carbondale town
- Never married: 29.7%
- Now married: 52.5%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 2.8%
- Divorced: 13.8%
25.7% Foreign born (23.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,068 (+66.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Carbondale:
- VALLEY VIEW HOSPITAL ASSN (about 12 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO)
- ASPEN VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 31 miles; ASPEN, CO)
- CLAGETT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 50 miles; RIFLE, CO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Carbondale:
- EAGLE COUNTY REGIONAL (about 27 miles; EAGLE, CO; Abbreviation: EGE)
- ASPEN-PITKIN CO/SARDY FIELD (about 28 miles; ASPEN, CO; Abbreviation: ASE)
- GUNNISON-CRESTED BUTTE REGIONAL (about 63 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Abbreviation: GUC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Carbondale:
- GLENWOOD SPRINGS MUNI (about 10 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Abbreviation: GWS)
- GARFIELD COUNTY REGIONAL (about 36 miles; RIFLE, CO; Abbreviation: RIL)
- NORTH FORK VALLEY (about 50 miles; PAONIA, CO; Abbreviation: 7V2)
Amtrak station near Carbondale:
- 13 miles: GLENWOOD SPRINGS (413 7TH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, call for car rental service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Carbondale:
- COLORADO MOUNTAIN COLLEGE (about 11 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,400)
- WESTERN STATE COLLEGE COLORADO (about 52 miles; GUNNISON, CO; Full-time enrollment: 2,199)
- MESA STATE COLLEGE (about 96 miles; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,415)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT BOULDER (about 136 miles; BOULDER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 25,355)
- COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 142 miles; Fort Collins, CO; Full-time enrollment: 22,684)
- COLORADO SCHOOL OF MINES (about 142 miles; GOLDEN, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,183)
- RED ROCKS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 145 miles; LAKEWOOD, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,835)
Public high school in Carbondale:
- ROARING FORK HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 328; Location: 180 SNOWMASS DRIVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Carbondale:
- COLORADO ROCKY MOUNTAIN SCH (Students: 165; Location: 1493 COUNTY ROAD 106; Grades: 9 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Carbondale:
- CARBONDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 386; Location: 600 SOUTH 3RD; Grades: 02 – 05)
- CARBONDALE MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 455 SOUTH 3RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- CRYSTAL RIVER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 232; Location: 160 SNOWMASS DRIVE; Grades: PK – 01)
- CARBONDALE COMMUNITY CHARTER SCHOOL (Students: 117; Location: 1505 SATANK ROAD; Grades: KG – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Carbondale:
- WALDORF SCHOOL ON ROARING FORK (Students: 80; Location: 16543 OLD HIGHWAY 82; Grades: PK – 8)