According to biotionary, Cape Elizabeth is a town located in Cumberland County, Maine. It is situated on the Atlantic coast with a population of approximately 9,000 people. The town is bordered by Scarborough to the north, South Portland to the east, and Falmouth to the south. Cape Elizabeth was incorporated in 1765 and has been a popular vacation destination for decades.
The town offers visitors many recreational opportunities including two beaches – Crescent Beach and Kettle Cove – as well as numerous parks and trails. Crescent Beach is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, surfing, kayaking, fishing, or just relaxing on its sandy shores. Kettle Cove offers both saltwater and freshwater swimming opportunities as well as bird watching spots. In addition to these two beaches there are several parks that offer access to nature trails for hiking or biking along with picnic areas and playgrounds for families to enjoy.
Cape Elizabeth also boasts several historical sites such as Fort Williams Park which was once an active military fort until it closed in 1954. Today this park serves as a popular attraction for visitors who can explore its old buildings, gun batteries, bunkers and other remnants of its past life as a military base. Additionally the Portland Head Light lighthouse is located within Cape Elizabeth’s limits offering spectacular views of Casco Bay from its observation deck along with several other historical sites such as Portland Breakwater Lighthouse and Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse which are open year-round for tours during certain hours of the day.
The town also has several shopping centers including The Maine Mall which features over 100 stores ranging from department stores such as Macy’s and JCPenney to specialty shops such as Coach and White House Black Market. There are also plenty of restaurants serving up everything from seafood dishes to traditional comfort food fare making it easy for visitors to find something delicious no matter what their taste buds desire!
According to bittranslators, Cape Elizabeth is an ideal vacation destination due to its combination of beautiful scenery, recreational activities and historical attractions that make it an attractive place for tourists year-round! From strolling along its sandy beaches or exploring Fort Williams Park’s historic structures to shopping at The Maine Mall or dining at one of the many restaurants in town – there’s something here that will appeal to everyone.
Population: 9,068. Estimated population in July 2020: 8,922 (-1.6% change)
Males: 4,331 (47.8%), Females: 4,737 (52.2%)
Median resident age: 43.1 years
Median household income: $72,359
Median house value: $184,600
Races in Cape Elizabeth:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.6%)
Ancestries: English (27.0%), Irish (25.5%), Italian (10.3%), German (9.7%), French (7.3%), Scottish (6.5%).
For population 25 years and over in Cape Elizabeth
- High school or higher: 96.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 58.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 26.8%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Cape Elizabeth town
- Never married: 16.2%
- Now married: 67.1%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 8.9%
3.0% Foreign born (1.8% Europe, 0.6% Asia, 0.4% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Cape Elizabeth:
- SPRING HARBOR HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; SOUTH PORTLAND, ME)
- MERCY HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; PORTLAND, ME)
- MAINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 10 miles; PORTLAND, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Cape Elizabeth:
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 9 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 29 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 55 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: PSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Cape Elizabeth:
- BIDDEFORD MUNI (about 20 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Abbreviation: B19)
- AUBURN/LEWISTON MUNI (about 33 miles; AUBURN/LEWISTON, ME; Abbreviation: LEW)
- LIMINGTON-HARMON (about 35 miles; LIMINGTON, ME; Abbreviation: 63B)
Amtrak stations near Cape Elizabeth:
- 9 miles: PORTLAND (100 THOMPSON POINT ROAD). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, ATM.
- 13 miles: OLD ORCHARD BEACH (11 FIRST ST.) – Seasonal Station. Services: ticket office, public payphones.
- 18 miles: SACO (130 MAIN ST.). Services: ticket office.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Cape Elizabeth:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 11 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 19 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 29 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 61 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 62 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 77 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,388)
Public high school in Cape Elizabeth:
- CAPE ELIZABETH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 546; Location: 345 OCEAN HOUSE ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Cape Elizabeth:
- POND COVE ELEMENTARY (Students: 640; Location: 12 SCOTT DYER ROAD; Grades: KG – 04)
- CAPE ELIZABETH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 614; Location: 14 SCOTT DYER ROAD; Grades: 05 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Cape Elizabeth:
- APPLETREE SCHOOL (Students: 18; Location: 44 TWO LIGHTS ROAD; Grades: PK – 1)
Library in Cape Elizabeth:
- CAPE ELIZABETH – THOMAS MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $360,381; Location: 6 SCOTT DYER ROAD; 46,527 books; 1,123 audio materials; 857 video materials; 85 serial subscriptions)