According to Harvardshoes, Buffalo is a small town located in Putnam County, West Virginia. The population was just over 400 people in 2020. It is situated in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, making it a picturesque mountain town. Buffalo is known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere and its abundance of outdoor activities and attractions.
The town of Buffalo was established in 1795 by William Wilson, who named it after his hometown of Buffalo, New York. The area was originally settled by farmers who were attracted to the area’s fertile soil and plentiful timber and water resources. Over time, Buffalo grew into an important trading center for the surrounding areas due to its proximity to both the Kanawha River and the Ohio River.
Buffalo is home to many historic sites, such as the Putnam County Courthouse, which dates back to 1845; the historic Putnam County Jailhouse; and several other buildings from the late 19th century. The town also has several local businesses, including restaurants, stores, banks, and other services that cater to visitors and locals alike.
The most popular outdoor activity in Buffalo is hiking or camping at one of many nearby parks or trails. Among these are Bluestone National Scenic River Park; Chief Logan State Park; Coopers Rock State Forest; Little Beaver State Park; Watoga State Park; and Greenbrier River Trail State Park. These parks offer plenty of opportunities for fishing, swimming, biking trails, bird watching, nature walks, rock climbing and more!
According to Health-beauty-guides, Buffalo also has a number of festivals throughout the year that celebrate local culture and history including Mountain Heritage Days in June; Summerfest in July; Oktoberfest in October; Christmas on Main Street in December; as well as several other events throughout the year such as car shows or art fairs that bring people together from all over West Virginia!
In addition to its natural beauty, Buffalo offers something for everyone with its diverse array of activities ranging from nature hikes to shopping trips at nearby stores like Walmart Supercenter or Tanger Outlets at Foxfire Crossing Shopping Center! Whether you’re looking for some family-friendly fun or just want to explore some of West Virginia’s unique history – there’s something here for everyone.
Population: 1,171. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,204 (+2.8% change)
Males: 568 (48.5%), Females: 603 (51.5%)
Zip code: 25033
Median resident age: 38.7 years
Median household income: $26,481
Median house value: $68,600
Races in Buffalo:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.6%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- American Indian (2.0%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
Ancestries: United States (21.7%), English (8.4%), German (8.1%), Irish (7.9%), Italian (3.4%), Scotch-Irish (2.4%).
Elevation: 580 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Buffalo
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 10.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Buffalo town
- Never married: 17.7%
- Now married: 59.1%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 10.6%
- Divorced: 10.6%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +198 (+20.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Buffalo:
- PUTNAM GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; HURRICANE, WV)
- PLEASANT VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; POINT PLEASANT, WV)
- HOLZER MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; GALLIPOLIS, OH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Buffalo:
- YEAGER (about 33 miles; CHARLESTON, WV; Abbreviation: CRW)
- TRI-STATE/MILTON J. FERGUSON FIELD (about 44 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Abbreviation: HTS)
- MID-OHIO VALLEY REGIONAL (about 63 miles; PARKERSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: PKB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Buffalo:
- LEON (about 7 miles; LEON, WV; Abbreviation: W07)
- GALLIA-MEIGS REGIONAL (about 19 miles; GALLIPOLIS, OH; Abbreviation: GAS)
- ONA AIRPARK (about 20 miles; MILTON, WV; Abbreviation: 12V)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Buffalo:
- MARSHALL UNIVERSITY (about 34 miles; HUNTINGTON, WV; Full-time enrollment: 12,361)
- WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE (about 37 miles; INSTITUTE, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,688)
- OHIO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 50 miles; ATHENS, OH; Full-time enrollment: 18,721)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY AT PARKERSBURG (about 55 miles; PARKERSBURG, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,306)
- HOCKING TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 60 miles; NELSONVILLE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 4,050)
- SHAWNEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 68 miles; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,849)
- MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY (about 105 miles; MOREHEAD, KY; Full-time enrollment: 6,866)
Public high school in Buffalo:
- BUFFALO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 282; Location: 3317 BUFFALO RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Buffalo:
- BUFFALO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 216; Location: RR 1 BOX 93; Grades: KG – 05)