According to Topbbacolleges, Brooksville, Maine is a small town located on the eastern side of the state, right on the coast of Penobscot Bay. The town has a population of just over 1,000 people and is known for its peaceful atmosphere and beautiful natural surroundings.
The town was first settled in 1790 by settlers from nearby towns. The original settlement was called “New Boston”, but it was renamed to Brooksville in 1810 after Thomas Brooks, an early settler from Massachusetts. Over the years, Brooksville has become a popular destination for tourists looking to explore the natural beauty of Maine.
The town is surrounded by lush forests and rocky cliffs that stretch out into the ocean below. The coastline offers stunning views of Penobscot Bay and many visitors take advantage of kayaking or boating trips around the area. There are also plenty of beaches nearby for swimming and sunbathing during summer months. Additionally, there are several hiking trails that wind through the woods near Brooksville where visitors can explore Maine’s unique wildlife and plant life up close.
According to Whicheverhealth, the downtown area is small but charming with several restaurants, stores, galleries, and other businesses all within walking distance from each other. There are also several annual events throughout the year such as a Fourth of July parade and fireworks show as well as an annual Harvest Festival in October which features local produce stands, live music performances and more.
Overall, Brooksville is a picturesque coastal town with plenty to offer visitors both near and far. From its stunning scenery to its quaint downtown area with plenty of activities to keep you busy; it’s no wonder why so many people flock to this peaceful corner of Maine year after year.
Population: 911. Estimated population in July 2020: 880 (-3.4% change)
Males: 456 (50.1%), Females: 455 (49.9%)
Median resident age: 48.6 years
Median household income: $36,458
Median house value: $109,200
Races in Brooksville:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: English (24.3%), United States (15.7%), Irish (11.5%), Scottish (6.3%), Swedish (4.9%), German (4.8%).
Elevation: 85 feet
For population 25 years and over in Brooksville
- High school or higher: 96.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 41.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 18.8%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Brooksville town
- Never married: 17.4%
- Now married: 66.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 10.1%
2.2% Foreign born (2.0% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Brooksville:
- BLUE HILL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; BLUE HILL, ME)
- WALDO COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; BELFAST, ME)
- MAINE COAST MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; ELLSWORTH, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Brooksville:
- BANGOR INTL (about 33 miles; BANGOR, ME; Abbreviation: BGR)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 93 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 123 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Brooksville:
- BLUE HILL (about 11 miles; BLUE HILL, ME; Abbreviation: 07B)
- STONINGTON MUNI (about 13 miles; STONINGTON, ME; Abbreviation: 93B)
- ISLESBORO (about 16 miles; ISLESBORO, ME; Abbreviation: 57B)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Brooksville:
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE (about 46 miles; ORONO, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,590)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 75 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 102 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 121 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 137 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 137 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 179 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
Public primary/middle school in Brooksville:
- BROOKSVILLE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 75; Location: 1527 COASTAL ROAD; Grades: PK – 08)
Library in Brooksville:
- BROOKSVILLE FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $32,182; Location: 1 TOWN HOUSE ROAD; 11,000 books; 350 audio materials; 340 video materials; 9 serial subscriptions)