According to Harvardshoes, Bronson, Kansas is a small town located in Doniphan County. It is situated on the border of Nebraska and Missouri, and is just nine miles east of the city of Atchison. With a population of a little over 800 people, Bronson is home to many small businesses, churches, and schools.
The town was first settled in 1857 by its founder, John E. Bronson. He named it after his hometown in New York state. Bronson grew quickly after the arrival of the Atchison & Nebraska Railroad in 1867 and soon became an important stop for travelers heading west on the Oregon Trail. By 1880, Bronson had grown to include three churches, two hotels, several stores and saloons, as well as a post office.
Today, Bronson remains much like it was during its early days: peaceful and rural with friendly locals who will always welcome visitors with open arms. The town’s main street features several historic buildings that have been around since its founding such as the old bank building (now home to the local library), an old hotel (now a museum), and several other structures that have stood the test of time.
The area surrounding Bronson is mostly agricultural land used for farming wheat and other crops while some areas are home to horse ranches or hunting lodges. There are also many recreational activities available nearby such as fishing at local lakes or visiting nearby state parks like Brown State Park or Big Lake State Park for camping and hiking opportunities.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Bronson also has several annual events that draw crowds from all around including their 4th of July celebration which includes a parade down Main Street followed by a fireworks show at nightfall; their annual Harvest Festival which includes a farmers market; and their Christmas Parade which features Santa Claus riding atop an antique fire truck!
There are plenty of reasons to visit this charming little town – from enjoying its rich history to taking part in all kinds of fun activities – but one thing’s for sure: once you visit Bronson you’ll never want to leave.
Population: 346. Estimated population in July 2020: 341 (-1.4% change)
Males: 172 (49.7%), Females: 174 (50.3%)
Zip code: 66716
Median resident age: 39.2 years
Median household income: $26,806
Median house value: $22,800
Races in Bronson:
- White Non-Hispanic (93.9%)
- Black (2.3%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (20.2%), Irish (20.2%), English (12.1%), United States (11.0%), French (4.6%), Norwegian (3.5%).
Elevation: 1065 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bronson
- High school or higher: 83.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 9.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bronson city
- Never married: 13.9%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 9.4%
- Divorced: 12.7%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1 (+0.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Bronson:
- ALLEN COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; IOLA, KS)
- MERCY HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; FORT SCOTT, KS)
- ANDERSON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; GARNETT, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bronson:
- JOPLIN REGIONAL (about 66 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Abbreviation: JLN)
- FORBES FIELD (about 83 miles; TOPEKA, KS; Abbreviation: FOE)
- CHARLES B. WHEELER DOWNTOWN (about 91 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MKC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bronson:
- ALLEN COUNTY (about 22 miles; IOLA, KS; Abbreviation: K88)
- FORT SCOTT MUNI (about 23 miles; FORT SCOTT, KS; Abbreviation: FSK)
- GARNETT MUNI (about 28 miles; GARNETT, KS; Abbreviation: K68)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bronson:
- PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; PITTSBURG, KS; Full-time enrollment: 5,566)
- MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE COLLEGE (about 68 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,569)
- UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS MAIN CAMPUS (about 74 miles; LAWRENCE, KS; Full-time enrollment: 22,506)
- JOHNSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 76 miles; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,857)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 82 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 84 miles; LEES SUMMIT, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,576)
- UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-KANSAS CITY (about 86 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,830)
Library in Bronson:
- BRONSON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $6,357; Location: 411 CLAY; 3,766 books; 100 audio materials; 78 video materials; 19 serial subscriptions)