According to biotionary, Bradford, Rhode Island is a small town located in the northwest corner of the Ocean State. It is bordered by Connecticut to the north, Massachusetts to the east and Narragansett Bay to the south. The town covers an area of roughly 12 square miles and has a population of just over 2,000 people.
Bradford was first settled in 1671 by English colonists who named it after their hometown in England. In 1731, it was incorporated as a town and has remained so ever since. The town is known for its natural beauty; its rolling hills, lush forests and pristine beaches are some of its most attractive features.
The main economic activity in Bradford is tourism. There are several small businesses that cater to visitors, such as restaurants, shops and lodging establishments. Along with tourism, there are also some farms scattered throughout the town that produce fruits and vegetables for local consumption.
There are several historic sites located in Bradford that draw visitors from all over New England. One of these is Stonington Point Lighthouse which dates back to 1856 and sits atop a rocky outcropping at the entrance of Narragansett Bay; it serves as an important navigational aid for ships entering or leaving the bay. Another site is Quonochontaug Pond which was formed by glacial activity over 10,000 years ago; today it provides excellent fishing opportunities for locals and visitors alike.
According to bittranslators, the Town Hall Building serves as Bradford’s center of government; here residents can take care of all their municipal needs ranging from voter registration to tax payments to applying for permits or licenses. There are also two churches located within the town boundaries: St John’s Episcopal Church (built in 1750) and Trinity United Methodist Church (built in 1820).
In addition to its natural beauty, Bradford also offers many recreational activities for residents and visitors alike including camping, hiking, biking trails and fishing spots along with plenty of public parks where people can picnic or simply relax while taking in the scenery around them.
Overall, Bradford provides an ideal setting for those looking to escape from their busy lives while still enjoying all that Rhode Island has to offer – beautiful landscapes combined with a quiet atmosphere make this small town an attractive destination both now and into the future.
Males: 761 (50.8%), Females: 736 (49.2%)
Median resident age: 30.3 years
Median household income: $42,130
Median house value: $112,000
Races in Bradford:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.8%)
- Hispanic (1.9%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.4%), Italian (20.2%), French (14.4%), English (12.1%), Portuguese (10.9%), United States (9.7%).
Elevation: 72 feet
Land area: 1.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bradford
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 11.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bradford CDP
- Never married: 31.8%
- Now married: 49.6%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 2.6%
- Divorced: 14.1%
1.2% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Bradford:
- WESTERLY HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; WESTERLY, RI)
- SOUTH COUNTY HOSPITAL INC (about 16 miles; WAKEFIELD, RI)
- WILLIAM W BACKUS HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; NORWICH, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bradford:
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 21 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 32 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 61 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bradford:
- WESTERLY STATE (about 6 miles; WESTERLY, RI; Abbreviation: WST)
- RICHMOND (about 11 miles; WEST KINGSTON, RI; Abbreviation: 08R)
- BLOCK ISLAND STATE (about 21 miles; BLOCK ISLAND, RI; Abbreviation: BID)
Amtrak stations near Bradford:
- 6 miles: WESTERLY (14 RAILROAD AVE.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: KINGSTON (WEST KINGSTON, FAIRGROUNDS RD.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: MYSTIC (RTE. 1). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bradford:
- UNIVERSITY OF RHODE ISLAND (about 17 miles; KINGSTON, RI; Full-time enrollment: 11,759)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 30 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 30 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 37 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 6,208)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 37 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (about 37 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
- PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (about 37 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)
Public primary/middle school in Bradford:
- BRADFORD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 219; Location: CHURCH STREET; Grades: KG – 05)