According to Ezinesports, Bolivar, Tennessee is a small town located in Hardeman County in the northwest corner of the state. It is approximately 35 miles east of Memphis and 48 miles west of Jackson. The town has a population of just over 11,000 people and is a part of the Jackson Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The town was named after Simón Bolívar, a Venezuelan military leader who was instrumental in Latin America’s fight for independence from Spain. The first settlers arrived in Bolivar around 1820, and it was officially incorporated as a town in 1858.
Bolivar has an array of attractions for visitors to explore. The most popular destination is Shiloh National Military Park which commemorates the American Civil War battle fought there in 1862. There are also several museums such as the Hardeman County Historical Museum and the West Tennessee Delta Heritage Center which are both dedicated to preserving local history and culture.
According to Fashionissupreme, the city also boasts an impressive selection of restaurants ranging from down-home southern cooking to upscale eateries with international cuisine. There are plenty of shopping opportunities as well with stores like Walmart Supercenter and Dollar General offering everything from groceries to clothing items.
The town has a vibrant arts scene with several galleries showcasing local artwork including paintings, sculptures, photography and more. There are also many festivals throughout the year such as Oktoberfest, Arts & Crafts Festival, Christmas Parade and more that bring out visitors from all over the area to enjoy music, food, art and entertainment.
Bolivar offers plenty of outdoor activities for those looking to spend some time outdoors such as camping at one of its many campgrounds or fishing on one of its nearby lakes or rivers like Big Sandy Creek or Wolf River. There are also numerous parks scattered throughout the city that provide playgrounds, walking trails and picnic areas for families to enjoy together during their stay in Bolivar.
Overall Bolivar is an excellent destination for those looking for a quiet getaway where they can explore history while still enjoying modern amenities such as shopping centers, restaurants and outdoor activities all within close proximity to each other making it easy to access all that this charming little Tennessee town has to offer its visitors.
Population: 5,802. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,652 (-2.6% change)
Males: 2,632 (45.4%), Females: 3,170 (54.6%)
Zip codes: 38008.
Median resident age: 36.9 years
Median household income: $28,651
Median house value: $59,000
Races in Bolivar:
- Black (56.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (42.0%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (9.2%), Irish (5.9%), English (4.7%), German (4.0%), Scotch-Irish (2.2%), French (1.9%).
Elevation: 453 feet
Land area: 8.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bolivar
- High school or higher: 63.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bolivar city
- Never married: 33.2%
- Now married: 39.1%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 11.3%
- Divorced: 13.7%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -366 (-5.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Bolivar:
- BOLIVAR GENERAL HOSPITAL (650 NUCKOLLS ROAD)
- WESTERN MENTAL HEALTH INSTITUTE (HWY 64)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Bolivar:
- METHODIST HEALTHCARE FAYETTE HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; SOMERVILLE, TN)
- JACKSON-MADISON COUNTY GEN HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; JACKSON, TN)
- PATHWAYS OF TENNESSEE, INC (about 27 miles; JACKSON, TN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bolivar:
- MC KELLAR-SIPES REGIONAL (about 24 miles; JACKSON, TN; Abbreviation: MKL)
- MILLINGTON MUNI (about 60 miles; MILLINGTON, TN; Abbreviation: NQA)
- MEMPHIS INTL (about 69 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Abbreviation: MEM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bolivar:
- WILLIAM L. WHITEHURST FIELD (about 5 miles; BOLIVAR, TN; Abbreviation: M08)
- FAYETTE COUNTY (about 27 miles; SOMERVILLE, TN; Abbreviation: FYE)
- THORNTON (about 32 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TN; Abbreviation: 47M)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bolivar:
- JACKSON STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 27 miles; JACKSON, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,534)
- UNION UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; JACKSON, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
- NORTHEAST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 53 miles; BOONEVILLE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,628)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-MACON CAMPUS (about 60 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,979)
- UNIVERSITY OF MEMPHIS (about 67 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 15,831)
- SOUTHWEST TENNESSEE COMMUNITY COLLEGE-UNION CAMPUS (about 67 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 6,979)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 67 miles; MEMPHIS, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,019)
Public high school in Bolivar:
- CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 907; Location: 313 HARRIS ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Bolivar:
- BOLIVAR CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 27; Location: 18315 HWY 125 S; Grades: 4 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Bolivar:
- BOLIVAR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 898; Location: 445 NUCKOLLS RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- BOLIVAR MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 522; Location: 915 PRUITT ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Bolivar:
- BOLIVAR HARDEMAN COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $167,166; Location: 213 NORTH WASINGTON ST.; 41,522 books; 1,807 audio materials; 6,567 video materials; 119 serial subscriptions)