According to biotionary, Beloit, Ohio is a small village located in Mahoning County, Ohio. It is situated along the Mahoning River and is approximately 30 miles southeast of Youngstown. Beloit was founded in 1832 by settlers from Pennsylvania who had been attracted to the area by its abundance of natural resources such as timber and coal. The village was initially named “Beeler” after one of the original settlers but was later changed to Beloit in 1837.
The village is home to many historical structures that have been carefully preserved over the years such as the Old Stone Church, built in 1849, and the First Congregational Church which dates back to 1838. The Village Hall and Fire Station were both constructed in 1912 and are still standing today. The buildings are a testament to Beloit’s past as a thriving industrial center during the 19th century when it became known for its production of steel products, including railroad cars and steam engines.
Despite its small size, Beloit offers plenty of activities for visitors and residents alike. There are several parks located within or near the village limits including Memorial Park which has a playground, basketball courts, tennis courts, baseball diamond and picnic areas; Veterans Memorial Park with its memorials dedicated to those who served in World War I; East Main Street Park with its walking trails; and Miller Park which has a fishing pond, picnic shelters and nature trails.
According to bittranslators, the village also hosts several annual events that bring residents together including an Independence Day Festival held each year on July 4th; a Christmas Walk held each December featuring holiday decorations throughout downtown; an Easter Egg Hunt at Memorial Park; an annual Car Show held on Main Street; and a Family Fun Day at Miller Park with games for all ages.
Beloit is also home to several local businesses that contribute to its vibrant economy such as restaurants, banks, shops and service providers like auto repair shops or hair salons. In addition there are also several small manufacturing companies located in town that produce various items like metal parts or plastic components for larger manufacturers throughout Ohio.
Overall, Beloit is a charming little village filled with rich history dating back almost two centuries ago when it was first settled by pioneers from Pennsylvania seeking new opportunities along the Mahoning River Valley. Despite being relatively small it still offers plenty of activities for visitors or residents looking for some outdoor recreation or entertainment options throughout the year. With its close proximity to Youngstown it’s no wonder why people continue to flock here looking for all that this quaint little town has to offer.
Population: 1,024. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,016 (-0.8% change)
Males: 467 (45.6%), Females: 557 (54.4%)
Zip code: 44609
Median resident age: 40.3 years
Median household income: $32,279
Median house value: $75,000
Races in Beloit:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.4%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (26.2%), English (16.4%), United States (14.7%), Irish (11.2%), Swiss (4.9%), Italian (4.8%).
Elevation: 1132 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Beloit
- High school or higher: 78.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Beloit village
- Never married: 19.5%
- Now married: 57.2%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 10.4%
- Divorced: 12.1%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -19 (-1.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Beloit:
- ALLIANCE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; ALLIANCE, OH)
- SALEM COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; SALEM, OH)
- SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL – YOUNGSTOWN (about 15 miles; YOUNGSTOWN, OH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Beloit:
- AKRON-CANTON REGIONAL (about 31 miles; AKRON, OH; Abbreviation: CAK)
- YOUNGSTOWN-WARREN REGIONAL (about 33 miles; YOUNGSTOWN/WARREN, OH; Abbreviation: YNG)
- CUYAHOGA COUNTY (about 55 miles; CLEVELAND, OH; Abbreviation: CGF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Beloit:
- TRI-CITY (about 2 miles; SEBRING, OH; Abbreviation: 3G6)
- MILLER (about 4 miles; ALLIANCE, OH; Abbreviation: 4G3)
- BARBER (about 7 miles; ALLIANCE, OH; Abbreviation: 2D1)
Amtrak station near Beloit:
- 7 miles: ALLIANCE (MAIN & WEBB STS.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Beloit:
- MOUNT UNION COLLEGE (about 9 miles; ALLIANCE, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,188)
- KENT STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 22 miles; KENT, OH; Full-time enrollment: 18,677)
- YOUNGSTOWN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; YOUNGSTOWN, OH; Full-time enrollment: 9,726)
- STARK STATE COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 29 miles; CANTON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,324)
- KENT STATE UNIVERSITY-STARK CAMPUS (about 29 miles; NORTH CANTON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 2,053)
- UNIVERSITY OF AKRON MAIN CAMPUS (about 38 miles; AKRON, OH; Full-time enrollment: 16,801)
- GENEVA COLLEGE (about 48 miles; BEAVER FALLS, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,059)
Public high school in Beloit:
- WEST BRANCH HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 795; Location: 14277 S MAIN ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Beloit:
- WEST BRANCH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 600; Location: 14409 BELOIT SNODES RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BELOIT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 304; Location: 14409 BELOIT SNODES RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- 5TH STREET BELOIT ELEMENTARY (Students: 188; Location: 17921 5TH ST; Grades: 03 – 05)