According to beautyphoon, Belle Vernon is a borough located in Fayette County, Pennsylvania. It is situated along the Monongahela River and has a population of approximately 4,000 people.
The area was first settled by European settlers in 1770 when James Finley arrived from Ireland and established the first settlement. The town was officially incorporated as Belle Vernon in 1884. The name “Belle” is derived from the French word for “beautiful” and “Vernon” is a tribute to General George Washington, who camped near the area during the Revolutionary War.
Today, Belle Vernon is known for its rural charm and small-town atmosphere. There are several local businesses including restaurants, banks, retail stores, and other services that cater to residents of the borough. The downtown area contains several historic buildings including some that date back to the 1800s.
The town also has several parks offering outdoor recreation opportunities such as hiking trails, playgrounds, tennis courts, basketball courts and baseball fields. In addition to these recreational activities there are also numerous events held throughout the year such as parades and festivals that bring people together from all over the region to enjoy music, food and other activities.
According to bestitude, Belle Vernon has a strong sense of community with various organizations such as churches and civic groups that work together to improve their quality of life. There are also many volunteer opportunities available through these organizations which help keep Belle Vernon thriving by providing assistance with projects like beautifying parks or helping with community events like fundraisers or cleanups.
In addition to its strong sense of community Belle Vernon also has plenty of amenities available for residents including schools that offer quality education options as well as medical facilities like hospitals and clinics for healthcare needs. There are also plenty of shopping options available in town ranging from small local businesses to larger chain stores so there’s something for everyone in Belle Vernon!
Overall Belle Vernon offers an ideal combination of rural charm with modern amenities making it an attractive place for those looking for a peaceful lifestyle close to nature but still within easy reach of all the necessary conveniences of city living.
Population: 1,211. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,163 (-4.0% change)
Males: 540 (44.6%), Females: 671 (55.4%)
Zip code: 15012
Median resident age: 44.9 years
Median household income: $18,068
Median house value: $57,300
Races in Belle Vernon:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.7%)
- Black (2.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
Ancestries: Italian (26.8%), German (17.3%), English (12.7%), Irish (10.3%), Polish (7.5%), Slovak (5.2%).
Elevation: 1000 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Belle Vernon
- High school or higher: 73.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 16.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Belle Vernon borough
- Never married: 25.9%
- Now married: 44.3%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 18.5%
- Divorced: 10.5%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -13 (-1.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Belle Vernon:
- MONONGAHELA VALLEY HOSPITAL INC (about 7 miles; MONONGAHELA, PA)
- BROWNSVILLE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; BROWNSVILLE, PA)
- UPMC MCKEESPORT HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; MC KEESPORT, PA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Belle Vernon:
- ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 16 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: AGC)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 34 miles; LATROBE, PA; Abbreviation: LBE)
- MORGANTOWN MUNI-WALTER L. BILL HART FLD (about 34 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Abbreviation: MGW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Belle Vernon:
- ROSTRAVER (about 7 miles; MONONGAHELA, PA; Abbreviation: FWQ)
- FINLEYVILLE AIRPARK (about 12 miles; FINLEYVILLE, PA; Abbreviation: G05)
- BANDEL (about 15 miles; EIGHTY FOUR, PA; Abbreviation: 22D)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Belle Vernon:
- CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 5 miles; CALIFORNIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,183)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
- CARNEGIE MELLON UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 7,903)
- ART INSTITUTE PITTSBURGH (about 24 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,246)
- POINT PARK COLLEGE (about 24 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-MAIN CAMPUS (about 24 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 22,930)
- DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,199)
Public high school in Belle Vernon:
- BELLE VERNON AREA HS (Students: 902; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Belle Vernon:
- MARION EL SCH (Students: 650; Grades: KG – 05)
- ROSTRAVER EL SCH (Students: 609; Grades: KG – 05)
- BELLMAR MS (Students: 419; Grades: 06 – 08)
- ROSTRAVER MS (Students: 379; Grades: 06 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Belle Vernon:
- ST. SEBASTIANS SCHOOL (Students: 239; Location: 815 BROAD AV; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Belle Vernon:
- BELLE VERNON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $42,721; Location: 505 SPEER ST; 21,339 books; 110 audio materials; 229 video materials; 17 serial subscriptions)