According to beautyphoon, Bayard, West Virginia is a small town in the eastern part of the state. It is situated in Grant County and is located just off of US Route 50. The population of Bayard was estimated to be around 545 people as of 2019.
The city has a rich history, dating back to 1820 when it was first settled by the Bayard family. Since then, Bayard has grown and prospered into a vibrant community that offers plenty of amenities for those who live there. The town is home to several local businesses, including a bank, pharmacy, hardware store, grocery stores, and restaurants. There are also several churches located throughout the town that offer services for residents and visitors alike.
The area around Bayard offers plenty of outdoor activities for visitors and residents alike. There are several nearby parks that offer scenic views as well as hiking trails and other recreational activities such as fishing, camping, hunting and more. The nearby Monongahela National Forest provides plenty of opportunities to explore nature while enjoying some fresh air at the same time.
According to bestitude, Bayard also hosts many events throughout the year including festivals like the Annual Apple Festival in October which features apple-based treats like pies and cider; Fourth of July fireworks show; live music events; car shows; antique auctions; craft fairs; farmers markets; flea markets; art shows; concerts; plays and much more!
The town offers an easy commute to larger cities such as Martinsburg or Winchester which are both less than an hour away from Bayard. Residents can take advantage of nearby airports such as Dulles International Airport in Washington D.C., or Baltimore/Washington International Airport which are both about two hours away from Bayard by car.
Overall, Bayard is a great place for those who want to experience small-town charm while still having access to all the amenities necessary for modern living. The friendly atmosphere combined with its close proximity to larger cities makes it an ideal place for those looking for peace and quiet while still being able to enjoy all the benefits that come with urban living.
Population: 299. Estimated population in July 2020: 290 (-3.0% change)
Males: 153 (51.2%), Females: 146 (48.8%)
Zip code: 26707
Median resident age: 46.2 years
Median household income: $25,156
Median house value: $43,100
Races in Bayard:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.3%)
- American Indian (2.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (25.8%), United States (14.0%), English (12.4%), Dutch (6.4%), Irish (5.0%), Welsh (3.7%).
Elevation: 2360 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bayard
- High school or higher: 72.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 1.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.4%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 39.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bayard town
- Never married: 18.1%
- Now married: 53.6%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 10.5%
- Divorced: 17.0%
0.3% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -116 (-28.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Bayard:
- GARRETT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; OAKLAND, MD)
- GRANT MEM HOSP (about 27 miles; PETERSBURG, WV)
- PRESTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; KINGWOOD, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bayard:
- MORGANTOWN MUNI-WALTER L. BILL HART FLD (about 45 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Abbreviation: MGW)
- HARRISON/MARION REGIONAL (about 59 miles; CLARKSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: CKB)
- ARNOLD PALMER REGIONAL (about 69 miles; LATROBE, PA; Abbreviation: LBE)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bayard:
- GARRETT COUNTY (about 21 miles; OAKLAND, MD; Abbreviation: 2G4)
- GRANT COUNTY (about 26 miles; PETERSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: W99)
- TITUS FIELD (about 37 miles; ARTHURDALE, WV; Abbreviation: 70D)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bayard:
- FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; FROSTBURG, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,672)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Full-time enrollment: 19,666)
- FAIRMONT STATE COLLEGE (about 56 miles; FAIRMONT, WV; Full-time enrollment: 5,317)
- CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 66 miles; CALIFORNIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,183)
- JAMES MADISON UNIVERSITY (about 67 miles; HARRISONBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 14,447)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 77 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,064)