According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Bassett is a small town located in the far northeastern corner of Nebraska, situated on the banks of the Niobrara River. It is part of Rock County and has a population of approximately 810 people as of 2020. The town was founded in 1887 and was named after James Bassett, an early settler who arrived from Ohio.
Bassett is a rural community that features a number of historic buildings, many dating back to the late 1800s. The downtown area has several old-style buildings, including the Bankers Hotel, built in 1928; the Bassett Opera House, built in 1890; and the Bassett Post Office, which dates back to 1899. The town also features several churches including St. Mary’s Catholic Church and United Methodist Church.
The main industry in Bassett is agriculture with many local farmers raising corn, soybeans, hay, and other crops on their land. There are also numerous cattle ranches in the surrounding area as well as some small businesses such as convenience stores and restaurants.
The local schools serve students from preschool through high school with two elementary schools (K-6) and one high school (7-12). There are also two private schools located nearby: Lutheran School of Faith and St Paul’s Lutheran School.
According to Topbbacolleges, Bassett contains several parks including Lake Maloney State Recreation Area which offers fishing access on Lake Maloney as well as camping sites for visitors to enjoy year-round recreation activities such as boating, swimming, hiking trails, hunting grounds and more. Additionally there are several golf courses located nearby for those looking for more leisure activities to enjoy on their visit to Bassett.
The community holds various events throughout the year such as 4th of July celebrations with fireworks displays at night; bass tournaments at Lake Maloney; art shows featuring local artists; fall festivals showcasing homemade items created by locals; winter ice fishing competitions held at Lake Maloney; Easter Egg Hunts hosted by local churches; summer concerts featuring live music from both local bands & touring acts; car shows & tractor pulls at various locations throughout town; an annual rodeo during Labor Day weekend that draws visitors from all over Nebraska & beyond!
Overall life in Bassett is pleasant and relaxed with friendly people who take pride in their small town lifestyle while still taking advantage of all that modern living has to offer them.
Population: 743. Estimated population in July 2020: 660 (-11.2% change)
Males: 328 (44.1%), Females: 415 (55.9%)
Zip code: 68714
Median resident age: 46.6 years
Median household income: $24,412
Median house value: $37,600
Races in Bassett:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.1%)
- American Indian (1.2%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (32.8%), English (11.4%), Irish (10.0%), United States (8.7%), Swedish (4.6%), Dutch (3.9%).
Elevation: 2343 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bassett
- High school or higher: 83.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.3%
- Unemployed: 3.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bassett city
- Never married: 21.2%
- Now married: 53.7%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 14.8%
- Divorced: 9.5%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +4 (+0.5%).
Hospital/medical center in Bassett:
- ROCK COUNTY HOSPITAL (HC 75 BOX 300)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Bassett:
- BROWN COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 25 miles; AINSWORTH, NE)
- WEST HOLT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 42 miles; ATKINSON, NE)
- AVERA GREGORY HEALTHCARE CENTER (about 46 miles; GREGORY, SD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bassett:
- NORTH PLATTE RGNL AIRPORT LEE BIRD FIELD (about 129 miles; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Abbreviation: LBF)
- PIERRE REGIONAL (about 133 miles; PIERRE, SD; Abbreviation: PIR)
- KEARNEY MUNI (about 134 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Abbreviation: EAR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bassett:
- ROCK COUNTY (about 3 miles; BASSETT, NE; Abbreviation: RBE)
- SPRINGVIEW MUNI (about 21 miles; SPRINGVIEW, NE; Abbreviation: 9V1)
- AINSWORTH MUNI (about 31 miles; AINSWORTH, NE; Abbreviation: ANW)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bassett:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 124 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 138 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 142 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 175 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 180 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 211 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 224 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
Public high school in Bassett:
- ROCK COUNTY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 93; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Bassett:
- BASSETT GRADE SCHOOL (Students: 95; Grades: PK – 08)
- PONY LAKE PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 6; Grades: PK – 08)
- SYBRANT PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 5; Grades: PK – 08)
Library in Bassett:
- ROCK COUNTY PUBLIC IBRARY (Operating income: $40,242; Location: 400 STATE STREET; 16,327 books; 361 audio materials; 193 video materials; 33 serial subscriptions)