According to Whicheverhealth, Bartley, Nebraska is a small rural town located in Red Willow County. It is situated on the banks of the Republican River, and is home to just over 400 people.
The town was founded in 1886 when the Union Pacific Railroad built a line through the area. Initially, it was known as Bartley Station and was a stop along the line which connected Omaha to Denver. The town got its name from one of its early settlers, Charles Bartley, who originally homesteaded in the area in 1871.
Today, Bartley is a quiet farming community with an economy largely based on agriculture. Most of its residents are employed in either farming or ranching. There are several businesses located in town as well, including two convenience stores and two restaurants. The town also has a post office, bank, library and several churches.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Bartley is known for its annual rodeo which takes place every June at the Red Willow County Fairgrounds. This event attracts many visitors from surrounding areas who come to watch cowboys compete for prizes in events such as bull riding and barrel racing.
Since Bartley has no high school or college within its borders, most students attend neighboring towns for their education needs after completing their primary education at Bartley Public School District #18. Students can also take advantage of online educational opportunities offered by various universities throughout Nebraska and other states.
Although it’s not very well known outside of Nebraska, Bartley remains an important part of Red Willow County’s history and culture due to its rich agricultural heritage and small-town charm that have been maintained over the years despite progress elsewhere around them. Whether you’re looking for some peace and quiet or a taste of rural life, you won’t be disappointed if you visit Bartley.
Population: 355. Estimated population in July 2020: 348 (-2.0% change)
Males: 177 (49.9%), Females: 178 (50.1%)
Red Willow County
Zip code: 69020
Median resident age: 40.4 years
Median household income: $31,111
Median house value: $38,700
Races in Bartley:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.1%)
- Hispanic (2.5%)
- Other race (1.1%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (35.2%), English (11.5%), Irish (9.3%), United States (6.5%), Polish (5.1%), Swedish (2.5%).
Elevation: 2329 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Bartley
- High school or higher: 87.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.6%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Bartley village
- Never married: 14.6%
- Now married: 67.3%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 5.8%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +17 (+5.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Bartley:
- TRI VALLEY HEALTH SYSTEM (about 11 miles; CAMBRIDGE, NE)
- COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; MCCOOK, NE)
- DECATUR COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; OBERLIN, KS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Bartley:
- MC COOK MUNI (about 20 miles; MC COOK, NE; Abbreviation: MCK)
- NORTH PLATTE RGNL AIRPORT LEE BIRD FIELD (about 65 miles; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Abbreviation: LBF)
- KEARNEY MUNI (about 96 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Abbreviation: EAR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Bartley:
- CAMBRIDGE MUNI (about 12 miles; CAMBRIDGE, NE; Abbreviation: CSB)
- CURTIS MUNI (about 29 miles; CURTIS, NE; Abbreviation: 47V)
- ARAPAHOE MUNI (about 29 miles; ARAPAHOE, NE; Abbreviation: 37V)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Bartley:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 95 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 117 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 132 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 168 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 220 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- HUTCHINSON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 225 miles; HUTCHINSON, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 253 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,137)
Public high school in Bartley:
- REP/TWIN VALLEY HS-BARTLEY (Students: 84; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Bartley:
- REP/TWIN VALLEY ELEM-BARTLEY (Students: 39; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Bartley:
- BARTLEY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $9,590; Location: 411 COMMERCIAL; 4,859 books; 34 audio materials; 475 video materials; 33 serial subscriptions)