According to deluxesurveillance, Barrington, Rhode Island is a picturesque seaside town located in Bristol County. It is situated on the eastern shore of Narragansett Bay, approximately 15 miles south of Providence. With a population of approximately 16,000 people, Barrington is the perfect size to offer its residents a small-town feel with easy access to nearby cities and towns.
The town was first settled in 1653 and has since grown into a thriving community with many attractions for visitors and locals alike. Throughout the year, Barrington hosts various festivals and events such as the Barrington Art Festival and the annual Fourth of July Parade. The town is also home to several historical sites such as the Nayatt Point Lighthouse which dates back to 1883 and the Barrington Historical Society which features an old-fashioned library and museum full of artifacts from the area’s past.
According to electronicsmatter, Barrington has several parks throughout town for residents to enjoy including Colt State Park which offers breathtaking views of Narragansett Bay from its 464 acres of land. The park also has several trails for biking, running or walking along with picnic areas, boat ramps and open meadows perfect for relaxing on a sunny day.
Barrington is known for its stunning beaches along with its quaint downtown area featuring specialty shops and restaurants offering local seafood dishes as well as other cuisines from around the world. There are also several art galleries in town displaying works from local artists that capture the beauty of Barrington’s coastal landscape.
The town also offers plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities including fishing, kayaking or paddle boarding at one of its many marinas or sailing at one of its yacht clubs located near by such as Rumstick Yacht Club or Sakonnet Yacht Club. For those looking to stay active there are plenty of public tennis courts throughout town as well as golf courses like Barrington Country Club which features an 18-hole course with beautiful views overlooking Narragansett Bay.
Overall, Barrington offers its residents an idyllic New England lifestyle surrounded by natural beauty while still providing easy access to nearby cities like Providence or Newport where you can enjoy all that urban life has to offer without having to live in it full time.
Population: 16,819. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,757 (-0.4% change)
Males: 8,197 (48.7%), Females: 8,622 (51.3%)
Median resident age: 40.2 years
Median household income: $74,591
Median house value: $198,500
Races in Barrington:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.7%)
- Hispanic (1.1%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Chinese (0.7%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (23.9%), English (21.3%), Italian (19.5%), German (10.0%), Portuguese (7.7%), French (7.0%).
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 8.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Barrington
- High school or higher: 92.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 53.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.7%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Barrington town
- Never married: 20.7%
- Now married: 66.2%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 6.5%
5.6% Foreign born (2.9% Europe, 1.1% Asia, 0.8% Latin America, 0.6% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +963 (+6.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Barrington:
- EMMA PENDLETON BRADLEY HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; RIVERSIDE, RI)
- WOMEN AND INFANTS HOSPITAL OF RI (about 7 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI)
- BUTLER HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Barrington:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 8 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 48 miles; BOSTON, MA; Abbreviation: BOS)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 50 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: BED)
Other public-use airports nearest to Barrington:
- DOWNTOWN PROVIDENCE HELISTOP (about 8 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: RI9)
- QUONSET STATE (about 13 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
- NEWPORT STATE (about 17 miles; NEWPORT, RI; Abbreviation: UUU)
Amtrak station near Barrington:
- 9 miles: PROVIDENCE (100 GASPEE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Barrington:
- ZION BIBLE INSTITUTE (Location: 27 MIDDLE HWY; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.zbi.edu)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Barrington:
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 7,460)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 9 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (about 9 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 10 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 10 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 11 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 6,208)
Public high school in Barrington:
- BARRINGTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,086; Location: 220 LINCOLN AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Barrington:
- ST ANDREWS SCHOOL (Students: 158; Location: 63 FEDERAL RD; Grades: 6 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Barrington:
- BARRINGTON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 806; Location: MIDDLE HIGHWAY; Grades: 06 – 08)
- HAMPDEN MEADOWS SCHOOL (Students: 594; Location: NEW MEADOW ROAD; Grades: 04 – 05)
- PRIMROSE HILL SCHOOL (Students: 351; Location: MIDDLE HIGHWAY; Grades: PK – 03)
- NAYATT SCHOOL (Students: 346; Location: 400 NAYATT ROAD; Grades: PK – 03)
- SOWAMS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 251; Location: 364 SOWAMS ROAD; Grades: KG – 03)
Private primary/middle schools in Barrington:
- ST LUKE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 293; Location: 10 WALDRON AVE; Grades: PK – 8)
- BARRINGTON CHRISTIAN ACAD (Students: 191; Location: 9 OLD COUNTY ROAD; Grades: KG – 8)
- RED BRICK NURSERY SCH INC(THE) (Students: 107; Location: 50 MIDDLE HIGHWAY; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Barrington:
- BARRINGTON PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,366,782; Location: 281 COUNTY ROAD; 125,128 books; 2,252 audio materials; 3,275 video materials; 167 serial subscriptions)