According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Barrackville, West Virginia is a small rural community located in Marion County, nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. With a population of just over 500 people, the town has maintained its small-town charm and is known for its diverse culture and strong sense of community.
The town was originally founded by Peter Barrack in 1815, who named it after his hometown in Pennsylvania. The original settlers were mostly German immigrants who came to work coal mines and other industries that helped to shape the local economy.
Today, Barrackville is a thriving little town that offers something for everyone. There are several churches to choose from and plenty of outdoor activities such as fishing, hunting, biking, and camping at nearby Monongahela National Forest.
The main attraction of Barrackville is its downtown district that features several small shops and restaurants as well as a library, post office, bank and other amenities. The downtown area has been carefully preserved over the years with many buildings featuring original architecture from the 1800s. In addition to being an attractive place to visit or shop there are also plenty of events held throughout the year such as farmers markets, festivals and car shows.
According to homethodology.com, there are also several schools located within Barrackville including an elementary school for grades K-5th grade; middle school for grades 6th-8th grade; high school for grades 9th-12th grade; technical college; career center; adult education center; as well as numerous public parks which provide plenty of recreational opportunities for residents and visitors alike.
Overall Barrackville has something for everyone: its unique history combined with modern amenities makes it an ideal place to live or visit! Whether you’re looking for a quiet escape from city life or simply want to explore all that this charming little town has to offer – you won’t be disappointed.
Population: 1,288. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,290 (+0.2% change)
Males: 602 (46.7%), Females: 686 (53.3%)
Zip code: 26559
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $31,587
Median house value: $63,700
Races in Barrackville:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.6%)
- Black (3.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (16.7%), United States (15.8%), Irish (15.2%), English (12.6%), Italian (6.5%), Polish (5.7%).
Elevation: 960 feet
Land area: 0.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Barrackville
- High school or higher: 86.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.7%
- Unemployed: 8.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Barrackville town
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 58.7%
- Separated: 0.3%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 10.8%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -75 (-5.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Barrackville:
- FAIRMONT GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; FAIRMONT, WV)
- H/S MOUNTAINVIEW REGIONAL REHAB HOSP (about 8 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV)
- GRAFTON CITY HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; GRAFTON, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Barrackville:
- HARRISON/MARION REGIONAL (about 16 miles; CLARKSBURG, WV; Abbreviation: CKB)
- MORGANTOWN MUNI-WALTER L. BILL HART FLD (about 21 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Abbreviation: MGW)
- ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 61 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: AGC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Barrackville:
- FAIRMONT MUNI-FRANKMAN FIELD (about 5 miles; FAIRMONT, WV; Abbreviation: 4G7)
- WADE F MALEY FIELD (about 10 miles; SHINNSTON, WV; Abbreviation: 6W0)
- ROY AIRFIELD (about 22 miles; GRAFTON, WV; Abbreviation: 71D)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Barrackville:
- FAIRMONT STATE COLLEGE (about 4 miles; FAIRMONT, WV; Full-time enrollment: 5,317)
- WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Full-time enrollment: 19,666)
- CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 44 miles; CALIFORNIA, PA; Full-time enrollment: 5,183)
- WEST LIBERTY STATE COLLEGE (about 55 miles; WEST LIBERTY, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,453)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-MAIN CAMPUS (about 65 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 22,930)
- DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,199)
- WESTMORELAND COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; YOUNGWOOD, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
Public primary/middle school in Barrackville:
- BARRACKVILLE ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 355; Location: 509 PIKE STREET; Grades: KG – 08)