According to Harvardshoes, Axtell is a small rural town located in the middle of the state of Nebraska. It is situated in the county of Kearney and is home to approximately 500 people. The town was founded in 1878 by a man named John Axtell and has been a part of Nebraska ever since.
Axtell is surrounded by wide open spaces and rolling hills, making it a great place for those looking to get away from it all. The town offers plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, camping, hunting, and more. There are also several parks and recreational areas nearby that provide local residents with plenty of opportunities to get out into nature.
The main street through Axtell runs along Main Street and is lined with historic buildings that have been around since the founding of the town. Many of these buildings have been restored to their original state, providing visitors with a glimpse into what life was like during Axtell’s early days.
One popular attraction in Axtell is the Kearney County Historical Museum which houses artifacts from Axtell’s history dating back to its founding in 1878. Visitors can explore exhibits about early settlers, Native Americans who inhabited the area long ago, and much more.
According to Health-beauty-guides, the local economy in Axtell revolves around agriculture as well as some light manufacturing businesses such as furniture making and woodworking shops. There are also several small businesses that cater to tourists who come to experience the quaintness of this rural town such as restaurants, bed & breakfasts, antique stores, gift shops, art galleries and more.
Axtell also has an active civic life with many community organizations such as the local Lions Club which works on various projects throughout the year including helping out those less fortunate in their community or raising money for various causes through fundraisers like bake sales or car washes.
The town also has two churches – one Catholic church and one Lutheran church – both offering services on Sundays for anyone who wants to attend or just needs a place for prayer or contemplation on any given day of the week.
Overall, Axtell is a great place for anyone looking for peaceful rural living with plenty of outdoor activities or just wanting to explore its rich history. It’s a great way to experience life outside of big cities while still being close enough that you can make trips into larger cities whenever necessary for work or pleasure.
Population: 696. Estimated population in July 2020: 708 (+1.7% change)
Males: 349 (50.1%), Females: 347 (49.9%)
Zip code: 68924
Median resident age: 36.2 years
Median household income: $40,625
Median house value: $79,500
Races in Axtell:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.7%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
Ancestries: German (43.7%), Swedish (19.4%), Irish (14.8%), English (9.5%), Danish (5.2%), Norwegian (5.2%).
Elevation: 2200 feet
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Axtell
- High school or higher: 91.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Axtell village
- Never married: 24.3%
- Now married: 60.3%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 4.7%
- Divorced: 10.4%
2.0% Foreign born (0.7% Europe, 0.7% Latin America, 0.6% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +7 (+1.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Axtell:
- KEARNEY COUNTY HEALTH SERVICES-HOSP (about 15 miles; MINDEN, NE)
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL (about 15 miles; KEARNEY, NE)
- RICHARD H YOUNG HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; KEARNEY, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Axtell:
- KEARNEY MUNI (about 19 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Abbreviation: EAR)
- HASTINGS MUNI (about 50 miles; HASTINGS, NE; Abbreviation: HSI)
- CENTRAL NEBRASKA REGIONAL (about 67 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Abbreviation: GRI)
Other public-use airports nearest to Axtell:
- PIONEER VILLAGE FIELD (about 14 miles; MINDEN, NE; Abbreviation: 0V3)
- BREWSTER FIELD (about 15 miles; HOLDREGE, NE; Abbreviation: HDE)
- ALMA MUNICIPAL (about 30 miles; ALMA, NE; Abbreviation: 4D9)
Amtrak station near Axtell:
- 18 miles: HOLDREGE (100 WEST AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Axtell:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 26 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 51 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 111 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 145 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- BARTON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 148 miles; GREAT BEND, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,268)
- SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 169 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,137)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT LINCOLN (about 170 miles; LINCOLN, NE; Full-time enrollment: 19,806)
Public high school in Axtell:
- AXTELL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 144; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Axtell:
- AXTELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 168; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Axtell:
- AXTELL PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $44,865; Location: 305 NORTH MAIN STREET; 7,640 books; 25 audio materials; 84 video materials; 34 serial subscriptions)