According to growtheology, Ashton, Maryland is a small, unincorporated community located in Montgomery County. It is situated along the border of Howard and Montgomery Counties, just northwest of Rockville and about 20 miles northwest of Washington D.C. Ashton is known for its peaceful atmosphere and natural beauty, making it an ideal place to live for those seeking a quiet lifestyle.
The community of Ashton was first established in 1795 as part of a land grant from Lord Baltimore to William Ashton. The original land grant consisted of over 500 acres and included parts of what are now Ashton, Sandy Spring, Brookeville, Olney, Norbeck and Damascus. Much like today, the area was largely agricultural with farms scattered throughout the countryside.
Today Ashton retains much of its original charm as well as its rural character. The community consists mainly of single-family homes on large lots with an abundance of trees and open space nearby. In addition to residential areas there are also businesses, churches, schools and parks interspersed throughout the neighborhood making it a self-contained community that offers all the amenities one would need while still maintaining a small-town feel.
According to homethodology.com, the main road running through Ashton is Georgia Avenue which connects it with nearby towns such as Sandy Spring and Olney as well as providing access to major highways including I-270 and I-495 which make commuting to nearby cities such as Rockville or Washington D.C easy by car or public transportation such as Metrobus or Metro rail lines that run through the area.
In addition to its proximity to major transportation routes Ashton offers residents plenty of opportunities for recreation including two public parks; Pine Lake Park and High Point Park both offer playgrounds, tennis courts, nature trails and picnic areas for visitors to enjoy year round. There are also several golf courses within driving distance from Ashton so those looking for a game can easily find one close by too!
For those looking for cultural activities there are several museums located near by in neighboring towns such as Sandy Spring Museum or Brookside Gardens in Wheaton where visitors can explore local history or take in some beautiful scenery all within easy driving distance from Ashton making this small town an ideal location for anyone looking for peace and quiet without sacrificing access to nearby amenities.
Males: 1,617 (47.0%), Females: 1,820 (53.0%)
Zip code: 20861
Median resident age: 43.2 years
Median household income: $73,458
Median house value: $276,400
Races in Ashton-Sandy Spring:
- White Non-Hispanic (79.3%)
- Black (12.3%)
- Hispanic (3.5%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- Asian Indian (1.2%)
- Chinese (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
- Korean (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (17.0%), Irish (15.3%), English (15.1%), United States (6.4%), Scottish (5.8%), Italian (4.4%).
Land area: 7.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Ashton-Sandy Spring
- High school or higher: 91.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 49.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 23.0%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ashton-Sandy Spring CDP
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 62.2%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 11.2%
- Divorced: 5.4%
8.4% Foreign born (3.4% Europe, 2.7% Latin America, 1.6% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ashton-Sandy Spring:
- MONTGOMERY GENERAL HOSPITAL INC (about 6 miles; OLNEY, MD)
- EASTERN NEURO REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; SILVER SPRING, MD)
- HOWARD COUNTY GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; COLUMBIA, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ashton-Sandy Spring:
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 21 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 23 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 26 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ashton-Sandy Spring:
- MONTGOMERY COUNTY AIRPARK (about 11 miles; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Abbreviation: GAI)
- DAVIS (about 11 miles; LAYTONSVILLE, MD; Abbreviation: W50)
- COLLEGE PARK (about 14 miles; COLLEGE PARK, MD; Abbreviation: CGS)
Amtrak stations near Ashton-Sandy Spring:
- 12 miles: ROCKVILLE (HUNGERFORD DR. & PARK ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 17 miles: NEW CARROLLTON (4300 GARDEN CITY DR.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: WASHINGTON (50 MASSACHUSETTS AVE. N.E.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities and snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, car rental agency, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ashton-Sandy Spring:
- HOWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; COLUMBIA, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,036)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (about 12 miles; Adelphi, MD; Full-time enrollment: 8,434)
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 11,829)
- CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF AMERICA (about 15 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 4,472)
- UNIVERSITY OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA (about 16 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 3,223)
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 8,859)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 16,045)