According to Ezinesports, Annapolis, Maryland is located in the central part of the state on the Chesapeake Bay. The city has a long and storied history, as it was once the capital of the United States before Washington D.C. became the official capital in 1800. Annapolis is known for its historic buildings, quaint streets, and vibrant waterfront.
The downtown area of Annapolis is filled with colonial-style architecture, cobblestone streets, and many historical monuments and sites. Visitors can stroll along Main Street to get a feel for what life was like in colonial times or explore some of the city’s other attractions such as St. John’s College or the Maryland State House which houses a replica of George Washington’s office from when he was president. There are also plenty of shops and restaurants to explore if you’re looking for souvenirs or something to eat while in town.
The waterfront area of Annapolis is one of its main attractions and features a variety of activities that visitors can enjoy such as sailing, kayaking, fishing, crabbing, jet skiing, paddle boarding, and more. There are also plenty of opportunities for sightseeing with views overlooking Chesapeake Bay Bridge or taking a boat tour around this beautiful body of water that has been home to sailors for centuries.
In addition to its many attractions around town, Annapolis is well-known for being home to the United States Naval Academy which offers visitors tours and interactive exhibits about naval history and traditions including ships from all eras on display at their museum.
According to Fashionissupreme, Annapolis boasts an array of annual events and festivals throughout each year such as their renowned boat shows every spring where visitors can admire some incredible vessels from all over the world or attend one their signature events like Jazzfest in June or Arts Alive! In October which features art exhibits from local artists as well as live music performances throughout downtown Annapolis.
Whether you’re looking to explore some history or just relax while enjoying views overlooking Chesapeake Bay there is something for everyone in Annapolis! With its charming atmosphere and year-round events it’s easy to see why this Maryland city has become so popular amongst tourists over time – making it one destination you won’t want to miss.
Population: 35,838. Estimated population in July 2020: 36,300 (+1.3% change)
Males: 16,975 (47.4%), Females: 18,863 (52.6%)
The city of Annapolis is located in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Check Countryaah.com for a full list of counties in Maryland.
Zip codes: 21401, 21402, 21403, 21405.
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $49,243
Median house value: $165,600
Races in Annapolis:
- White Non-Hispanic (59.0%)
- Black (31.4%)
- Hispanic (6.4%)
- Other race (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (12.2%), German (11.8%), English (10.2%), Italian (4.9%), United States (4.5%), Scottish (2.9%).
Elevation: 40 feet
Land area: 6.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Annapolis
- High school or higher: 82.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 38.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.0%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Annapolis city
- Never married: 35.7%
- Now married: 42.1%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 11.5%
9.7% Foreign born (5.1% Latin America, 2.3% Europe, 1.6% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +3,190 (+9.8%).
Hospital/medical center in Annapolis:
- ANNE ARUNDEL MEDICAL CENTER (2001 MEDICAL PARKWAY)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Annapolis:
- CROWNSVILLE HOSPITAL CENTER (about 8 miles; CROWNSVILLE, MD)
- NORTH ARUNDEL HOSP (about 16 miles; GLEN BURNIE, MD)
- JOHNS HOPKINS BAYVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (about 22 miles; BALTIMORE, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Annapolis:
- BALTIMORE-WASHINGTON INTL (about 18 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Abbreviation: BWI)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 28 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 38 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Annapolis:
- SOUTH RIVER (about 6 miles; EDGEWATER, MD; Abbreviation: 00B)
- LEE (about 6 miles; ANNAPOLIS, MD; Abbreviation: ANP)
- KENTMORR AIRPARK (about 12 miles; STEVENSVILLE, MD; Abbreviation: 3W3)
Amtrak station near Annapolis:
- 20 miles: BWI AIRPORT RAIL STATION (BALTIMORE, AMTRAK WAY). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Annapolis:
- UNITED STATES NAVAL ACADEMY (Full-time enrollment: 4,172; Location: 121 Blake Road; Public; Website: www.usna.edu)
- ST JOHN’S COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 531; Location: 60 COLLEGE AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.sjca.edu/main.html; Offers Master’s degree)
- FLEET BUSINESS SCHOOL (Full-time enrollment: 166; Location: 2530 RIVA RD STE 201; Private, for-profit; Website: fleetbusiness.net)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Annapolis:
- ANNE ARUNDEL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; ARNOLD, MD; Full-time enrollment: 6,467)
- BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 17 miles; BOWIE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,323)
- PRINCE GEORGES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; LARGO, MD; Full-time enrollment: 5,764)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-BALTIMORE (about 24 miles; Baltimore, MD; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)
- UNIVERSITY OF BALTIMORE (about 24 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,230)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND-BALTIMORE COUNTY (about 25 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 9,095)
- JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; BALTIMORE, MD; Full-time enrollment: 12,330)
Public high schools in Annapolis:
- BROADNECK SENIOR HIGH (Students: 2,183; Location: 1265 GREEN HOLLY DR; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ANNAPOLIS SR. HIGH (Students: 1,683; Location: 2700 RIVA RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Annapolis:
- ANNAPOLIS AREA CHRISTIAN SCHOO (Students: 794; Location: 716 BESTGATE RD; Grades: PK – 12)
- KEY SCHOOL (Students: 662; Location: 534 HILLSMERE DRIVE; Grades: PK – 12)
- ST MARYS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 580; Location: 113 DUKE OF GLOUCHESTER; Grades: 9 – 12)
- LEARNING COMMUNITY THE (Students: 280; Location: 110 SHILEY STREET; Grades: KG – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Annapolis:
- CAPE ST. CLAIRE ELEMENTARY (Students: 658; Location: 931 BLUE RIDGE RD; Grades: KG – 05)
- WILEY H. BATES MIDDLE (Students: 627; Location: 701 CHASE AVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- WINDSOR FARM ELEMENTARY (Students: 552; Location: 591 BROADNECK RD; Grades: KG – 05)
- ANNAPOLIS MIDDLE (Students: 531; Location: 1399 FOREST DR; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MILLS – PAROLE ELEMENTARY (Students: 434; Location: 103 CHINQUAPIN ROUND RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- GERMANTOWN ELEMENTARY (Students: 409; Location: 1411 CEDAR PARK RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- GEORGETOWN EAST ELEMENTARY (Students: 386; Location: 111 DOGWOOD RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- HILLSMERE ELEMENTARY (Students: 369; Location: 3052 ARUNDEL ON THE BAY RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- ROLLING KNOLLS ELEMENTARY (Students: 318; Location: 1985 VALLEY RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- WEST ANNAPOLIS ELEMENTARY (Students: 268; Location: 210 ANNAPOLIS ST; Grades: PK – 05)
Biggest private primary/middle schools in Annapolis:
- ST MARY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 915; Location: 111 DUKE OF GLOUCESTER STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
- ST ANNES DAY SCHOOL (Students: 413; Location: 3112 ARUNDEL ON THE BAY RD; Grades: PK – 8)
- NAVAL ACADEMY PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 285; Location: 74 GREENBURY POINT ROAD; Grades: PK – 5)
- HERITAGE LEARNING CENTER (Students: 248; Location: 1740 FOREST DRIVE; Grades: PK – KG)
- ST MARTINS LUTHERAN CHURCH SCH (Students: 211; Location: 1120 SPA ROAD; Grades: PK – 8)
- CREATIVE GARDEN SCHOOL LTD (Students: 171; Location: 2124 BAY FRONT TER; Grades: PK – KG)
- MONTESSORI INT’L CHILDRENS HOU (Students: 142; Location: 1641 WINCHESTER ROAD; Grades: PK – 5)
- THE HARBOUR SCHOOL AN INNOVATI (Students: 137; Location: 1277 GREEN HOLLY DR; Grades: UG – UG)
- BOOK OF LIFE ACADEMY (Students: 102; Location: 913 CEDAR PARK RD; Grades: KG – 8)
- WEEMS CREEK NURSERY SCHOOL KDG (Students: 100; Location: 238 KIRKLEY ROAD; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Annapolis:
- PL OF ANNAPOLIS AND ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY, INC. (Operating income: $15,740,049; Location: 5 HARRY S. TRUMAN PARKWAY; 1,154,364 books; 95,318 audio materials; 38,008 video materials; 2,988 serial subscriptions)