According to foodezine, Algodones, New Mexico is a small town located in Sandoval County, near the Rio Grande. It is known as the “Land of Enchantment” and is situated at an elevation of 5,000 feet above sea level. This small town has a population of around 1,000 people and has been around since the late 1800s when it was founded by Spanish settlers.
Algodones is home to some impressive sites such as the Algodones Mission Church which dates back to 1820. The church has been well preserved and contains a number of artifacts from its time period. The mission has a unique adobe style architecture and features a central courtyard with an old bell tower that still stands today. This church was one of six missions that were built in the area by Spanish settlers in the late 1700s and early 1800s.
The town also offers many recreational activities for visitors to enjoy including hiking, camping, fishing, and horseback riding. There are several trails nearby such as Algodones Trail which takes you through canyons and forests with spectacular views of the Rio Grande Valley. There are also two lakes located just south of Algodones where you can go swimming or boating if desired.
According to fun-wiki, the town itself has some great dining options available for visitors to choose from including Mexican restaurants, pizza places, ice cream parlors, and more. If you’re looking for something unique there’s even a restaurant called “Casa de los Algodones” which serves traditional New Mexican cuisine like green chili stew or sopaipillas (a type of deep-fried pastry).
Algodones also hosts several events throughout the year like the annual Fiesta de los Algodones each June which includes live music performances, traditional dancing and food vendors selling delicious local cuisine. Another popular event is their annual Christmas parade where locals dress up in festive costumes to celebrate the holiday season together with friends and family members from all over New Mexico.
Overall, Algodones is a great place to visit if you’re looking for an authentic experience in New Mexico that combines history with outdoor recreation opportunities and tasty local cuisine options within reach. Whether you’re interested in exploring its ancient mission or just want to get away from it all while enjoying some fresh air outdoors – this small town will not disappoint.
Males: 345 (50.1%), Females: 343 (49.9%)
Zip code: 87001
Median resident age: 33.1 years
Median household income: $39,792
Median house value: $180,000
Races in Algodones:
- Hispanic (73.4%)
- Other race (39.4%)
- White Non-Hispanic (23.5%)
- American Indian (3.2%)
- Two or more races (2.0%)
- Black (0.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (7.0%), Italian (2.2%), English (1.3%), Irish (1.0%).
Elevation: 5095 feet
Land area: 7.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Algodones
- High school or higher: 86.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 41.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Algodones CDP
- Never married: 24.8%
- Now married: 63.5%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 3.8%
- Divorced: 7.6%
0.6% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Algodones:
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- ST JOSEPH NORTHEAST HEIGHTS HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
- ST JOSEPH WEST MESA HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Algodones:
- ALBUQUERQUE INTL SUNPORT (about 26 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: ABQ)
- SAN LUIS VALLEY REGIONAL/BERGMAN FIELD (about 148 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Abbreviation: ALS)
- SIERRA BLANCA REGIONAL (about 148 miles; RUIDOSO, NM; Abbreviation: SRR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Algodones:
- DOUBLE EAGLE II (about 27 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Abbreviation: AEG)
- SANDIA AIRPARK ESTATES EAST (about 30 miles; EDGEWOOD, NM; Abbreviation: 1N1)
- SANTA FE MUNI (about 33 miles; SANTA FE, NM; Abbreviation: SAF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Algodones:
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-ALBUQUERQUE NM CAMPUS (about 17 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 3,261)
- ALBUQUERQUE TECHNICAL VOCATIONAL INSTITUTE (about 23 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 9,188)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW MEXICO-MAIN CAMPUS (about 27 miles; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Full-time enrollment: 18,780)
- NEW MEXICO HIGHLANDS UNIVERSITY (about 99 miles; LAS VEGAS, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,278)
- ADAMS STATE COLLEGE (about 151 miles; ALAMOSA, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,147)
- SAN JUAN COLLEGE (about 151 miles; FARMINGTON, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,837)
- FORT LEWIS COLLEGE (about 163 miles; DURANGO, CO; Full-time enrollment: 4,051)